Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-08-10 9:36AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

11/6

Once again, I had to get down early and couldn't put in a full day. The morning just yielded a small spike buck that wondered under my tree and kept walking straight away.  I moved my stand around 1130 to a different spot for the afternoon.  I had hardly been in the tree and settled in before a lone doe came wandering down the trail. She hung out and feed for a while but just always seemed to have a tree or branch in the way.  Around 130 I heard a buck grunting and causing issues in front of me, it turned out to be a real small spike, chasing a really small doe. Neither one would slow down for me. I had some chasers go by all afternoon. I had to get down around 5 since the wife made dinner plans for 630.  Just as I had taken my arrow off the string and was getting ready to lower everything, I hear that distinctive tromp tromp tromp of a buck walking through the woods. I turn around and sure enough and he is coming right towards me. Well, long story short, I didn't want to shoot him and have to come back for him on sunday and worry about foxes, coyotes, and skunks eating their fill and ruining the meat, so I let him walk. (choice two would have been to come home late to irate wife). 

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1061/5158169191_2c4d935afe_z.jpg

Walking up the trail towards me..

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1330/5158778884_0dd061d7ae_z.jpg

Broadside at 10 yards

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/5158778728_41c5734c51_z.jpg

And painfully watching him feed on acorns around the stand..

After about 10 minutes a doe was running by about 60 yards out and he decided to give chase and I was able to slip down and out of the woods. There is always next weekend..

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Nov-08-10 9:39AM)

#2 Nov-09-10 4:09AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 11/6

That's a nice mark...you'll get him this weekend!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Nov-09-10 4:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

About a dozen years ago, a friend of mine had permission to hunt (bow) very close to the Village. On a Sunday morning, I get a call from him needing my assistance  to hoist a huge buck on to the top of his SUV? "What?", that was my 1st reaction.

He shot the buck late on Saturday and couldn't track it down so he continued the search in the AM. The buck was in fine shape (for a dead buck) as it was cold so we hoisted it up and away he went. I wondered if he would get in trouble for having a dead deer on a Sunday but he said that the warden would know that it was shot the day before.

Other than shooting at iguanas when I was a kid in Cuba, that is my only hunting related story.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Nov-09-10 4:56AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

About a dozen years ago, a friend of mine had permission to hunt (bow) very close to the Village. On a Sunday morning, I get a call from him needing my assistance  to hoist a huge buck on to the top of his SUV? "What?", that was my 1st reaction.

He shot the buck late on Saturday and couldn't track it down so he continued the search in the AM. The buck was in fine shape (for a dead buck) as it was cold so we hoisted it up and away he went. I wondered if he would get in trouble for having a dead deer on a Sunday but he said that the warden would know that it was shot the day before.

Other than shooting at iguanas when I was a kid in Cuba, that is my only hunting related story.

I have had to recover a few the next day before. If it's cold they okay, but I think it's always better if you field dress them right away.

smile

#5 Nov-09-10 5:15AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

It probably would have been fine, but after having seen gut piles disappear over night from all the critters of the night I just didn't want to run the risk. Coyotes are pretty opportunistic feeders plus the love to urinate on a carcass for some reason.

Board footer