Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-03-10 1:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

This guy just had some great fishing......

This was a report from a fly guy refering to the last 2 late PMs at Gravely Point:

Went out the last 2 afternoon/evenings @ GP to fish the falling tide and had tremendous success. I caught well over 30 fish, with several smallmouth bass in the 18-20" range and some decent sized schoolies. But the highlight came last night about 15 minutes after sunset when I caught bubba - a 27" rock fish that nearly broke my 5 weight and took me into my backing. It was one of the more enjoyed fly fishing fights of my life! He was 8-12" larger than any other rocks caught, a pleasant surprise that had my heart racing.

The bite really picked up as the sun set with many large fish breaking the surface for baitfish. They all had a particular fondness for my olive clouser, which I fished tandem with a larger sized clouser. I
figured the tandem rig not only increased my odds, but also imitated schooling baitfish making a "run for it".

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-04-10 7:24AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: This guy just had some great fishing......

Saw that... gonna be crowded but sounds like there are some decent fish here early. I'll see you guys out there!

#3 Oct-04-10 8:22AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

this from shore?

#4 Oct-04-10 9:00AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Yeah this is from shore. Free rats too.

They really freak you out when you're out there alone. Oh and there is a muskrat/beaver of different reported sizes and temperament. I saw both I think last year, this year just rats so far.

#5 Oct-04-10 9:59AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Hmmmm fishing from the riprap on main river or inside that inlet where the launch is?!?!?

#6 Oct-04-10 11:15AM

Ernie
Administrator

Wading sometimes.....but not sure where this guy was perched.

#7 Oct-05-10 9:26AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I went last night and got a 4/5lb largemouth on a baby bass fluke bounced along the bottom. Thing was a pig! I thought it was a snakehead when it came up because it was so large. Pretty fun on my ultralight. Caught about 10 rock from 12-19'' and one large crappie oddly enough. I think I would have caught more on the fly rod because I would have been able to slow the drift down more. Slow was key last night and white flukes got the rocks. Only one rock hit my marabou jig teaser.

Should be crowded out there from this point on. Are there any other shore spots that fish stack up like this in? I'd be up for some exploring!

Oh and just to confirm, saw 2 rats on shore and one muskrat/beaver type animal. It's freaking huge if it's a muskrat.

Last edited by Redfish12 (Oct-05-10 9:28AM)

#8 Oct-07-10 6:26PM

Rob

The angler per the first post was wading about waist deep a couple of feet from shore. He caught all of those just after I went home. Should have stayed!

#9 Oct-07-10 6:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

Amazing how that bite turns on like that!

Board footer