Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-13-10 6:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

BDR, 7-13

My buddy Steve's plane was late getting in so Paul and Bob went on ahead of us. I think they were on the water by 5PM.

As we were getting there, I get a text from Paul that he had caught a 6+lb LMB...his best ever at BDR!!

Steve and I finally got there at 6 PM and headed over to where Paul and Bob were. We started throwing deep diving cranks and big creature baits.

It's amazing how different of a fishery that place is when you have a depth finder.....unreal!

We started to get some sprinkles and it felt good but the rain started to get a bit heavier. A few minutes later, it all let loose with violent winds and heavy rain. Thankfully, we did not see lightning or hear thunder. The rain was relentless so Steve and I started  to make our way back to Mt. hope Rd. Paul and Bob had put in on the other side.

Anyway, Steve and I wimped out and took out 7:45.

I know that Paul caught a few more and I am sure he will report back.

I will be fishing that place more often now that I can see what is below me....

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Jul-13-10 7:42PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Re: BDR, 7-13

What a crazy outing it was. Bob and I started out fishing some structure near the launch but didn't get any hits. I told Bob I wanted to fish a new piece of structure that I found the last time out. He opted to stay at the first spot for a bit longer.

I set up on the new piece and decided to try some new crankbaits that just got delivered this afternoon. I just recently found out about the Strike King 6XD. I ordered a few because they are supposed to be able to get to the 18 - 20 foot range even though they are labeled to 17 ft. The extra depth would put me in the strike zone longer. Well the experiment paid off. On my 3rd cast I hooked up and big. After taking drag several times I knew I had a pig. Luckily it only made one small jump and I was able to bring it to the net. It weighed 6lb 5oz and was 22.5" long and fat. My biggest from the reservoir so far.

After Ernie and Steve showed up we set up on another point but couldn't find the fish. Once again I moved north to another area. On my second cast I hooked up on a fish that must have been suspended in some bait. It was in the 2 to 3 lb range but lost it at the boat on a jump. At this point it was raining pretty hard but the wind was light so I stuck with it. A few cast later I hooked up again and landed one that was an even 3lb.

While landing the last fish and releasing it, the skies opened up and the wind started howling. I hated to leave feeding fish but it got really nasty so I quickly picked up anchor and paddled to the shore. I met up with Bob there and we waited out the rain. It never quite stopped but the wind settled a bit and we fished a bit longer. Bob had a hit on a brush hog but I was unable to get focused in again. I actually got cold and my shoulder started hurting so we called it a night.

It was great meeting Bob and Steve and always good to fish with Ernie. Let's do it again under better conditions.

6lb 5oz
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/7-13-10-a.jpg

3lb
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/7-13-10-b.jpg

That's Ernie and Steve behind that wall of water
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk211/pnajdzin/7-13-10-c.jpg

Last edited by Paul Naj (Jul-13-10 7:43PM)

#3 Jul-13-10 8:33PM

AnF

Way to go Paul! Woot!  Is that a Sexy Shad? I recently purchased one but have yet to use it. I was planning on using it on Sunday evening but my little 5yr old girl wanted to go fishing with me. I just couldn't say no to her. So, I took her to Burke to catch some sunfish. Anyway, nice toad.

#4 Jul-13-10 9:20PM

Bud

What a pig!  That's one nice bass!  Good for you Paul. 

Fishing deep structure seems to be paying off.  I haven't quite cracked the code on that yet.

#5 Jul-13-10 10:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

looks like a Strike King 6XD. Should be available at your local Dick's Sporting Goods. I know the one where I work got a big shipment of them last week.

#6 Jul-14-10 5:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

I am ready to do it again...

When I was paddling back, I was surprised at how hard I had to paddle to get going. I thought that the yak sprung a leak again and had taken on water. As I got to the dock, I felt a bump but it wasn't a rock. It was my grappler anchor that was trailing me! I paddled almost a mile that way...what a workout!

#7 Jul-14-10 6:18AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

I am ready to do it again...

When I was paddling back, I was surprised at how hard I had to paddle to get going. I thought that the yak sprung a leak again and had taken on water. As I got to the dock, I felt a bump but it wasn't a rock. It was my grappler anchor that was trailing me! I paddled almost a mile that way...what a workout!

That made me laugh. I am sorry:)

smile

#8 Jul-14-10 6:20AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

BTW
Nice fish Paul.

smile

#9 Jul-14-10 6:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

jumping jasper wrote:

That made me laugh. I am sorry:)

No worries....Steve laughed right in front of me!

I deserve it!

#10 Jul-14-10 8:52AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

That is a funny story Ernie but completely understandable. When the conditions turn like that you almost go into this sort of survival mode and you lose site of small details. If you read the end of my first post I talk about not being able to get focused again after the heavy rain and wind passed. When the wind was hawking and the rain was pelting my eyes and my kayak was filling up with water I was only concerned about not losing my contact lenses, not taking on too much water to put me in a dangerous situation and getting out of the intense wind to the shoreline.

#11 Jul-14-10 9:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

I felt the same way (getting focused). All of the sudden, fishing was not a priotity.

I certainly built up an appetite paddling as hard as I did so I called Mezza Grill and got a take out order....good stuff!

So what are we doing Sunday PM?????

#12 Jul-14-10 10:27AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I just think about our time on the Upper Potomac Ernie when the weather changed....went from flat river conditions to ocean conditions and I can only imagine how you felt having to paddle upstream!

Sorry to hijack this incredible post. Nice catch Paul!!!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#13 Jul-14-10 10:40AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Sunday PM looks open at this point. Tomorrow morning is looking like light winds so I may sneak out for a few hours just after daybreak as well.

#14 Jul-14-10 2:37PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice work Paul! picking up right where you left off and hammering them out at BDR!

#15 Jul-15-10 5:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is Steve in the nice, peaceful, early evening....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1259.jpg

...and as the storm hits.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1260.jpg

#16 Jul-15-10 5:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

Paul Naj wrote:

Sunday PM looks open at this point.

I am out for Sunday....will keep looking at another date.

Board footer