Patagonian Toothfish

pav monday

more shorties on light tackle

caught a few speed reeling a 1/8 rattletrap high in the wind
picked up several on a dop shot trick worm
caught a short bass on a spinnerbait at ashburn

hit beech after the rain and caught shorties at the upper storm inlet, wacky
a few shorties at cedar doing same

4me, cedar is way off this year. i cAUGHT HUNDREDS OF FISH THERE LAST YEAR, was almost ridiculousy easy some days.
maybe the old girl is just a little worn out this year

#2 Jun-29-10 7:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: pav monday

bigjeffie wrote:

for me, cedar is way off this year. I CAUGHT HUNDREDS OF FISH THERE LAST YEAR, was almost ridiculousy easy some days.
maybe the old girl is just a little worn out this year

I agree...I used to be able to go out back and catch a few without too much effort. Not so these days. I hope that Cedar hasn't been poached.....

But there is a new class of fish coming up! I have caught many juvies while fly fishing for BGs...they will be the future.

I am not convinced that fishing pressure makes them hard to catch. There are a lot of snails in that lake, anyone tried a snail bait?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-29-10 10:41AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I think we may have a parasite problem in Cedar.  A couple of years ago, I did a quick survey (for the Ponds and Lake Committee) by doing necropsies on several fish from each lake.  I found many of the Cedar fish to have Clinostonum (yellow grub) just under the skin.  This parasite comes from snails and transfers to fish that spend considerable time in shallow water where snails prevail.

I may do some more necropsies of Cedar bass in the near future to see if this is the case.  If it is, the recomemded course of action is to break the life cycle of the parasite by eliminating the snails.  Crawfish not only consume dead organic matter, but also feed on snails.  We might need to add crawfish to Cedar if the fish are seriously infected.  The bass love crawfish as a food source too.  Crawfish reproduce rapidly and can be purchased at about $2.80/lb.

I'll put this into a new thread in "Ernies Forum", so not to hijack this one.

OK, Ernie just moved it to "Ashburn Village Ponds and Lakes Issues" smile

Last edited by Curly (Jun-29-10 10:53AM)

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Jun-29-10 12:59PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

One of my friends uncle goes to sleeter lake in round hill. it is a private lake about 90 acres. he fishes there all the time and catches numerous 8 pounders. i went sunday and only caught 3 that were 2 and under. anyways long story short. some off the owners asked him to keep a few of the smaller ones. when we got back we cleaned the bass all about 2 pounds. 4 in all. he showed me the parasites that you are talking about. there were about 1 or 2 on each side and they were orange and yellow. he told me they were from fertilizers.. he said he kept a bass out of ashburn that was under a pound to see if there were any of them and he said that that small one had 10 on each side.

#5 Jun-29-10 1:20PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I don't eat fish but I think some folks who fish the lakes do. Are these parasites dangerous to humans?

#6 Jun-29-10 1:34PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Bass Hunter wrote:

I don't eat fish but I think some folks who fish the lakes do. Are these parasites dangerous to humans?

Nope.  Everyone try going to the other thread, so not to hijack this thread.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer