Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-26-10 10:41AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

6/26 Beaverdam Report

All the conditions were good but fishing was tough.  Perch were busting the surface all of the place.  Patrick pointed out some boiling the water.  That's when I caught three small white perch.  I got one with my bitsy minnow and two on a Little Cleo spoon.  I kept two to bait hooks.  Neither of those produced.  Towards the end of our outing I was on a flat next to a big drop off deciding what I was going to throw.  Fish were breaking the surface nearby so like everywhere else where fish were active I tossed the bitsy minnow.  This time it really produced.

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/274681/BDR-bluegill-lifesize.JPG

If you download the photo and open it, you can view the fish at actual size.
Not quite citation.  Now I'm certain the one I caught last Saturday was at least 11".
And that was it for me.  I did mark some good structure on the Cuda though.

Last edited by T. (Jun-26-10 10:41AM)

#2 Jun-26-10 10:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 6/26 Beaverdam Report

T- that is an excellent blue gill!

We heard him yell, "keeper on", thinking it was a nice bass. But it was this nice monster. My report to follow when I find where I put the camera.

Slow was the word for the day!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jun-26-10 11:23AM

Ernie
Administrator

OK...here we go!

I was to meet up with Patrick at 0615 so I got up early and headed on down to BDR. I got there before 0600 and that included a Mickey D stop! I unloaded the yaks and all the gear but something was missing....what was it? Oh....perhaps the most important piece of the puzzle...my drinks! So I called Patrick and told him I was headed home to retrieve my soft cooler.

I know, why didn't I just go to the nearest convenience store? Because I like my drinks ice cold! I had mine in the freezer so I could have cold drinks all day....which I did.

We got on the water before 0630 after meeting up with T.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1206.jpg

Patrick said he had never ventured north so that's where we went. I wanted to go that way too as did T.

It was a spectacular morning and that place has many very fishy places.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1208-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1209-1.jpg

But where were they....the feesh?

We threw top water, trick worms, cranks, spinners, brush hogs, frogs etc etc! Nothin' doing!

I did say int was a nice day out right?

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1210-1.jpg

Around 1045, Patrick and I met up on the west side to compare our woes. He had missed one fish and I had one little tap. That was it....until I saw a submerged rock and announced to Patrick that there was a fish there. I let my baby brush hog just sit as I chatted with Patrick when I noticed something taking my bait...I set the hook and caught this little....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1212-1.jpg

.....but FAT smallie! OH...skunk is off!

I stayed in that cove and went ashore to rest my hind quarters. I took a few casts while standing and hooked another fish but I lost him when he jumped....another smallie?

It was then that we heard T shout out that he had that monster BG on so we went out to where he was. He had found a nice flat area that had a great drop off. Note to Ernie: INSTALL your depth finder!!!!!

I was casting a toothache spoon and I could feel the bottom. I was hoping to snag, I mean catch something on it. I did get a violent strike (a rock) and when I set the hook, my line broke. Not at the knot but way up the line...it was braided! I wonder if something cut it... Anyway, as I drifted down, I say the line (braid floats) and I retrieved 50-60 feet of it and got my lure back! BONUS time!

Now it was getting close to noon so I started my paddle back but not before I made one more cast with a deep diver. I made that cast so that I could troll it back since I had a good 1/2 mile paddle to the dock.

About 1/2 way back my lure got slammed (those rocks hit hard) and I did the best that I could to retrieve it but the line broke and there went my $5 lure.

Well...I didn't get skunked, I got a ton of sun and exercise, I fished with two great guys and I was home by 12:30.

Not a bad way to spend a morning!

#4 Jun-27-10 5:23PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Good times as always. Thanks for the yak rental and good to meet you T. No fish, but wonderful weather.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#5 Jun-27-10 5:52PM

Pikesnogle
Website

Woah, yak rental?! Where is there a yak rental place? Or was this a personal yak that someone loaned you?

'This looks like it could be gravy'

Shimao Curado 201E7 - 6'6" St. Croix Mojo Bass
Shimano Stradic 4000FG - 7' Field and Stream IM6 Sportsman

#6 Jun-27-10 6:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

Pikesnogle wrote:

Woah, yak rental?! Where is there a yak rental place? Or was this a personal yak that someone loaned you?

No yak rentals around here that I know of....Coz and I call it a "rental" when  he uses my yak or canoe.

#7 Jun-28-10 7:35PM

AnF

Great pics! I went out on Sunday to Beaverdam and managed a couple of dinks and lost a good one near the dam. The two I caught were on a shaky head w/zoom shaky tail and the one I missed was on Rage Tail Baby Craw on swim jig.

#8 Jun-28-10 8:32PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

AnF wrote:

Great pics! I went out on Sunday to Beaverdam and managed a couple of dinks and lost a good one near the dam. The two I caught were on a shaky head w/zoom shaky tail and the one I missed was on Rage Tail Baby Craw on swim jig.

what colors were effective for you?
anybody else, welcome to chime in w/ favorite colors and techniques for BVD as well...

#9 Jun-29-10 7:15AM

Ernie
Administrator

In May, I caught 'em on a pearl colored fluke and on greenish senkos. As well, I caught a few on white spinner baits.

I think that place changes with the weather.

It was also a full moon on Sunday....some folks like it, I do not.

#10 Jun-29-10 8:12AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

You can never go wrong with black and blue either. I have caught fish on black and blue senkos.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#11 Jun-29-10 4:14PM

Pikesnogle
Website

bigjeffie wrote:

anybody else, welcome to chime in w/ favorite colors and techniques for BVD as well...

I usually do well with senkos there, just about any variation of green, gold spinners, and dark colored jigs with craw trailers.

'This looks like it could be gravy'

Shimao Curado 201E7 - 6'6" St. Croix Mojo Bass
Shimano Stradic 4000FG - 7' Field and Stream IM6 Sportsman

#12 Jun-29-10 6:29PM

AnF

bigjeffie wrote:

AnF wrote:

what colors were effective for you?

I started off with a white spinner, switched to blue black Jig with blue black RT Space Monkey with no joy, then caught them on watermelon red Zoom shaky tail and missed on amber green black RT Baby Craw.

This being my first year fishing BVD, it's difficult to say on a favorite color because it's been different every outing out there. Sometimes it will be blue black and others it will be pearl or a light colored lure.

I've had success with spinners, wacky, jig, shaky and favorite moment was running a Zoom Super Fluke green albino along the grass edge and seeing it get smashed. The expression on my daughter's eyes was priceless as she had never seen anything like that. This one happened after a storm a month ago, we were fishing from the boulders on the left side of the church parking lot.

No success with any hard baits at BVD.

Board footer