Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-15-10 9:18AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Recent post about BDR on another Board.......Good info!

Not a report just a response to the other poster about Beaverdam. I know in the past, when people post about Beaverdam others get thier panties in a bunch b/c it is somewhat under the radar. So when I post about it I always put Northern Va reservoir.

There are a ton of white perch in the lake, along with shad, frogs, and craws. I do believe that bass will feed on the white perch. One morning I was in a little "bay" that is essentially a big 8' flat, and I saw the white perch hitting the surface and then a big blast would happen once in a while. So I tied on a pearl fluke and caught 3 nice bass.

In the summer you really do have to concentrate on offshore structure. That is not to say you can't catch fish on that grass line, b/c you can especially during low light times, but if you want to run into a nice school you need to find a ledge, point, or hump. I have had a few times out there where I have ran into an active school of LMB from 3lb to 7lb. It will usually last for an hour, but it is the most intense and great hour of fishing I have had. One time I caught 7 bass from 3lb to 6lb on 7 straight casts. You really need electronics though for this so you can find the structure. I have located around 12 productive summer spots. I have only ran into an active school of bass on 2 of the spots, but I am sure they all could produce a school of bass b/c I will catch one or 2 from the spots all most everytime I stop at one. The depth range I target is from 12 to 18 with the exception of one spot that is 6'. That spot is a huge flat, and if you saw the lake when it was down a couple of years ago you would know what I am talking about. There is a rock wall, it looks like it may have been a property dividing type wall, but it goes across a huge flat just north of the ramp. Great spot to catch not only 4lb class LMB but 4lb class SMB.

Wow long post sorry, but I love this reservoir. I know it like the back of my hand. I think I have mapped the entire place out with my electronics. There are 2 bridges in the lake. Both are very productive. I have caught a citation SMB off of one and a 7lb LMB off of the other one. During the spring the fishing near the bank is great especially during prespawn and during the shad spawn. After that though you best bet is to find offshore structure. Treat it like any other big lake, in other words use the same type lures you would on any big lake. I have caught some nice fish on big swimbaits here.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#2 Jun-15-10 9:47AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Recent post about BDR on another Board.......Good info!

Nice response curly! I've been dying to get back out there with my new electronics. definitely want to up my game with learning to fish offshore structure and locating fish.

#3 Jun-15-10 10:34AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

It can be a humbling experience out there when you are fishing without electronics or a great deal of knowledge of the contours/structure. Great report. Perhaps I'll one day figure out that place and get into some of those better fish again.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Jun-15-10 10:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

Two of my biggest bass this year have come from there .....go figure (can't catch bigger fish anywhere else)!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-15-10 11:09AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

BTW.........that post is from someone else (not me) on the other board.  I just copied it here for y'alls info...............Curly

#6 Jun-15-10 1:54PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I think this is the area he's talking about. 
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/284948/BDR.jpg

Does anyone know where the 2nd bridge is?

Last edited by T. (Jun-15-10 1:54PM)

#7 Jun-15-10 2:33PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

T. wrote:

I think this is the area he's talking about. 
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/284948/BDR.jpg

Does anyone know where the 2nd bridge is?

Yeah, the rock pile fence is behind where you were standing when you took that photo and that flat is massive.  I worked that rock pile fence last month when I was out there with Ernie in the Yaks.....but no takers.  You can see the "fence" about 1-2 feet under the water when the lake is at full pool and the water is clear.

I've never seen the other bridge he is talking about......even during the drought of 2000 when the lake was waaaay down and the white church bridge was above the water.

BDR was stocked with stripers many years ago and once in a while someone catches a monster.  Back in 2000, I saw a fella pull a 27 pounder out of there when the water was down during the drought.

Last edited by Curly (Jun-15-10 2:37PM)

#8 Jun-15-10 3:54PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

This is it right?

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/284948/BDR2.JPG

#9 Jun-15-10 5:40PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Bingo!  Give that man a Qubie Doll...................

#10 Jun-15-10 7:35PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow! Those pics are priceless T! Thanks for sharing!

#11 Jun-15-10 7:49PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Here are some more pics of the drought from Mikescatchreport
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/mikescatchreport/Beaverdam1007/1007beaverdam04.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/mikescatchreport/Beaverdam1007/1007beaverdam02.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/mikescatchreport/Beaverdam1007/1007beaverdam03.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/mikescatchreport/Beaverdam1007/1007beaverdam05.jpg
Dam
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/mikescatchreport/Beaverdam1007/1007beaverdamstitch.jpg

#12 Jun-16-10 4:20AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Good pics indeed.  The water was down twice as far in 2000 and it was estimated that only 5% of the water (from full pool) remained.

#13 Jun-16-10 4:39AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

From the other board.  This guy used the info at the beginning of this post and found the way-points..............and a 5 pounder...........here is his post:

"Will post future findings under NVA title...About a month ago, hit the Res for the first time and had one LMB pushing 5lb on a 4" craw along the rock wall within the flat you mentioned. Not sure if it's a coincidence but the orange pumpkin color for craw and creature bait mentioned in the original posting was the lucky color. No interest (luck) with the redish/brown color'd craws.

I don't have electronics, but I've found the road bed which follows the put in by the church and the rock wall...would very much appreciate any clues regarding these other under water structures. To note, I practice catch and release; so those bass will be staying in the res. One more thing; there is a youtube clip of a LMB in a home aquarium swallowing a white perch with no problem."

#14 Jun-16-10 7:24AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Great pics...now if I can just figure out the angle from which they were taken!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#15 Jun-16-10 12:59PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I've got about 50 photos of the central part of the reservoir taken during the 2007 drought.

Board footer