Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-25-10 2:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

DC boating regs

This was just posted on another site by a fella that fishes DC water often.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------:

I just took the infamous DC Boating Safety Course this past weekend, and BOY have I got some news to post. There's some serious officialdom 
in all this that teeters on the bleeding edge of the officers' discretion and budgetary ability to cover territory that you really want to understand.

I'll push to get a summary posted this week, but here's for real: 

Anybody operating ANYTHING that floats in DC waters must by law pass the NASBLA online Boaters Safety Course (DC specific version), or the 
class taught in person at the DC Harbor Master near the fish market on Maine Ave. Rhats kayaks, canoes, paddleboats, pontoons, anything 
(rentals may be licensed differently). The fact that this is news to most people is a result of officer's discretion and budgetary 
edication/enforcement limitations. There is a big wave of states making this mandatory, up to 44 now if I recall. One class covers you 
in most places, but there are many DC-specific regs & laws.

Now get this. Because DC is a sensitive Homeland Security area, EVERY boating or fishing violation that results in a ticket is technically 
recorded as an ARREST (may impact your security clearance), and they have a first expectation of literally taking you away in handcuffs for 
booking, even for simple stuff. It's the officers' discretion whether to give a warning instead, but a ticket is recorded as an arrest.

I would have thought that last paragraph was hysterical rantings, but they made it very clear what their expectations and responsibilities 
are.

Bottom line: if you want to float on the Potomac as the operator of NY boat in DC waters (and be legally responsible for your guests 
operating your boat), take the DC Boaters Safety Course and carry the certification card. And yes, it's clearly a registration database as 
well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will need to do a little more research on this so I think we will scratch the DC float for now.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-25-10 4:17PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: DC boating regs

Wow. I'm glad we never got pulled over during our Fletcher's trips this spring.

#3 May-26-10 6:40AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Just take the on line course boaterexam.com and select DC

smile

#4 May-26-10 12:05PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I have the NASBLA apporved certificate that I took from BoatUS in 2007.  I got checked this spring by DC Harbor Patrol.  He looked at my certificate and said I was good to go.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 May-26-10 12:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

Got mine in '05. Did you do a DC specific?

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 May-26-10 12:34PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Got mine in '05. Did you do a DC specific?

DC was listed as accepting it when I took it................

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer