Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-13-10 3:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

5-13-10, Eastern Bay report

We went back to Eastern Bay with high hopes that the May worm hatch was done and over with.....thankfully, it was.

Steve, John and I met Capt. Sean Crawford at the Kent Narrows ramp at 0645. It was damp, chilly with a slight breeze. Just what Sean wanted as there would be a possibility of a top water bite.

If you want pictures, come back later and I will have some (I left my camera at home...AGAIN!).

We made the chilly ride down to the Green #3 can and started looking for bait and marks. We found none and that was a big surprise. After a bit, we saw a few marks and decided we better try. John took the skunk off immediately and was followed by Steve a few minutes later. It took almost an hour for me to take my skunk off but my fish was a FAT 28 incher. Nice fish if I say so myself.

Steve and John continued to catch fish, some dinks and some fat keeper type. I started to throw the fly rod (9wt). At first I used a Siliclone but it I only got one hit on it. Interestingly, the profile was just like the BKD’s that Steve and John were using but it had no weight so it was floating up a bit (I was using 350 grain line). Sean had me switch to a clouser and I hooked up right away…and a few more times. I was having fun!

The bite died off at midday and after a bit we decided to make a more….not before some boater did a donut around us trying to swamp us. Incredible! Well…not really. What happened was that I saw a friend of mine out there and was talking trash. I had shamed him earlier as he is a fly fisherman (usually) but was using a spinning rod. I was fly casting so he went to that as well. He yelled at me that there were no more fish and that I couldn’t catch one on the fly and I yelled back that I would…and I did! Right in front of his face. That’s when he did the donut....good friend huh? Actually he is, as he called us a few minutes later and told us to make a move where some fish were getting active.

Since we had to drop Steve off at Reagan for his flight back to NY, we had to leave early and we were trying to get as many casts in as we could. The bite got better and we area all catching fish…especially lucky John!

The final tally was 45+ stripers in less that a full day of fishing. It’s not the best day we have ever had out there but it was really good….especially fishing with business associates that go back 20 years!

Pictures at 11!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-14-10 8:55AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 5-13-10, Eastern Bay report

Great day. Look forward to the pics

smile

#3 May-14-10 9:15AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Good job.  Any pics of the water dounuts?

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 May-14-10 11:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

No pics of the donut....we were laughing so hard we didn't think about it. Plus I didn't have my camera at the ready since I left it at home.

#5 May-14-10 2:23PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Glad you got into them. I'm starting to think the number of fish caught is directly proportional to the number of miles you are away from your camera.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#6 May-15-10 12:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

Still waiting on the pictures....but I did get a report from Tony Hughey. He fished Saturday. Here it is:

Hit all the right spots at the right times. Plenty of current, nice light chop on the water, but it was a tough day of fishing. Managed 4 around 18" all day. Marked most bait over deeper water - 27'-40'. Bigger fish would move through in ones and twos, suspended in the middle of the water column, and hard to target. Richie, Gary, Russ Wilkinson and I think Sean were all close by, so I was in good company. Everyone was working deeper water near the green #3, around both sides of Tilghman point to the red nun #8. One day after a new moon, good current, light chop and an inbound thunderstorm so everything felt right. Beautiful day on the water even if the fishing was a bit slow.

#7 May-15-10 12:59PM

Ernie
Administrator

I just heard back from the "donut man". I met Ed through some other friends, they fish Eastern Bay and belong to the Kent Narrows CCA. Great group of guys. Here is his reponse to the donut incident (I accused him of eating too many canollis): No canollis just the donut.  My only regret is that it was just one donut and that I didn't throw in a moon pie.  It was just an Italian/Cuban thing.  Seriously Ernie was nailing them on fly.  Granted most were the size of bunkers but they put a bend in the rod. Not only good seeing you out there Ernie but you make fishing fun for all - thanks.

#8 May-23-10 1:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Finally...some pictures!

This is John with his big gets!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/3-21.jpg

And Steve with two nice ones (one was over 26")!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/4-2.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/1-9.jpg

And finally, my big one that was 28"!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/6-9.jpg

#9 May-23-10 4:53PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Nice fish. Nice pics. You have to wonder based on your most recent trip if flat water is a good thing or a bad thing?!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#10 May-23-10 5:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

The guides like a little wind to ripple the water and help their drifts. I think it might make a difference.

BTW, the "feeding calendar" showed the 13th to be a best" (4 star) day and the 21st/22nd to be average (1 star)....just sayin'!

Board footer