Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-06-10 9:43PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

International Fishing

I've been doing some research on fishing on the Isle of Man because there is a good chance I will be there in June.  By comparison we have it really good here.

Isle of Man = 221 square miles and not a whole lot of freshwater
Loudoun Co = 520 square miles
Virginia = 42,774 square miles with over 3100 square miles of water.

The IOM has a fishing season from March 10 to October 31.  Shorter for the streams and rivers.
Separate licenses for reservoirs and all other waters

IOM Reservoir License fees:
Adult      £137    ($207!) Year/ £48 ($73)Week / £23 Day
Student (14-18)    £53 Year/ £21 Week / £8.50 Day
Children 13 and under must have a license, it's free though.
Other waters: Adult    £53/    £21/    £8.50

For us just $18 (or $30 with salt) for the whole state for a whole year! And just another $18 if we actually want to catch some trout.  What a bargain!

Apparently the only fish they have to catch are Rainbow, Brown and Sea Trout; and Salmon.

Restrictions:
1. it is an offence to carry or use a gaff or tailer;
2. line is restricted to 4.5kg / 10 lb. breaking strain;
3. hook size is restricted to No. 6 Redditch scale, unless the hook is comprised in an artificial fly;
4. multiple hooks must not be used, except when –
i) Pennel or Stuart tackles are being used for bait fishing;
ii) A “point with two droppers” is being used for fly fishing only;
iii) A spinner is being used for spinning only;
5. there is a maximum length and weight for spinners, lures and spoons –
i) In reservoirs: 65 mm / 10 grams
ii) In rivers: 100 mm / 15 grams;
6. rubber worms or similar artificial bait must not be used in reservoirs other than the Eairy Dam;
7. all fish under 18 cm. long, and all foul-hooked fish, must be returned to the water;
8. a landing net must be used when fishing at a reservoir, and when fishing for migratory fish in
rivers;
9. wading in reservoirs is prohibited.
10. fishing for salmon or sea trout from the foreshore, in any estuary or at sea is not permitted.

For Reservoirs:
(a) live bait, worms, ground bait and organic matters, including substances with which artificial bait
may be impregnated, shall not be used (except on Eairy Dam);
(b) Clypse and Kerrowdhoo Reservoirs are restricted to fly fishing only;
(c) there is an overall bag limit of 4 trout per day; catch and release must not be continued after the
4th fish has been caught.

On the plus side: "Very few stretches of private streams are private fishing and boards advertise this. These apart, there is in the main an unwritten code of understanding, which dates back for many years, that the considerate angler may fish where he wishes. This system only exists because of a legacy of reasonableness from both the angler and land owners and may change if abused. The Manx National Trust glens are certainly open to all. Show commonsense and respect, and if in doubt knock on a nearby door and ask. At present there are rarely any problems."

#2 Mar-07-10 6:45PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Re: International Fishing

Fishing over there doesn't sound very fun. I would probably just head on over to the pub instead.

Of course I've never been much of a trout guy.

#3 Mar-08-10 4:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

I have taken a fishing pole with me many times when when I travel. Once, at the Cayman Islands, I was simply throwing jigs near a reef (from the beach). A local came up and said that I would not catch anything unless I used bait. I said I didn't have bait and asked him what he would like for dinner. He said "parrot snapper are delicious. So.....I provided him with four of these tasty fish and he was a startled and happy camper!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Mar-08-10 5:38AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

I have taken a fishing pole with me many times when when I travel. Once, at the Cayman Islands, I was simply throwing jigs near a reef (from the beach). A local came up and said that I would not catch anything unless I used bait. I said I didn't have bait and asked him what he would like for dinner. He said "parrot snapper are delicious. So.....I provided him with four of these tasty fish and he was a startled and happy camper!

haha, that's awesome. no better way to create a believer in lures vs bait.

#5 Mar-08-10 6:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

haha, that's awesome. no better way to create a believer in lures vs bait.

It was neat and I remember leaving all of my baits with him.

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Mar-08-10 9:25AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

T. wrote:

I've been doing some research on fishing on the Isle of Man because there is a good chance I will be there in June.  By comparison we have it really good here.

Isle of Man = 221 square miles and not a whole lot of freshwater
Loudoun Co = 520 square miles
Virginia = 42,774 square miles with over 3100 square miles of water.

The IOM has a fishing season from March 10 to October 31.  Shorter for the streams and rivers.
Separate licenses for reservoirs and all other waters

IOM Reservoir License fees:
Adult      £137    ($207!) Year/ £48 ($73)Week / £23 Day
Student (14-18)    £53 Year/ £21 Week / £8.50 Day
Children 13 and under must have a license, it's free though.
Other waters: Adult    £53/    £21/    £8.50

For us just $18 (or $30 with salt) for the whole state for a whole year! And just another $18 if we actually want to catch some trout.  What a bargain!

Apparently the only fish they have to catch are Rainbow, Brown and Sea Trout; and Salmon.

Restrictions:
1. it is an offence to carry or use a gaff or tailer;
2. line is restricted to 4.5kg / 10 lb. breaking strain;
3. hook size is restricted to No. 6 Redditch scale, unless the hook is comprised in an artificial fly;
4. multiple hooks must not be used, except when –
i) Pennel or Stuart tackles are being used for bait fishing;
ii) A “point with two droppers” is being used for fly fishing only;
iii) A spinner is being used for spinning only;
5. there is a maximum length and weight for spinners, lures and spoons –
i) In reservoirs: 65 mm / 10 grams
ii) In rivers: 100 mm / 15 grams;
6. rubber worms or similar artificial bait must not be used in reservoirs other than the Eairy Dam;
7. all fish under 18 cm. long, and all foul-hooked fish, must be returned to the water;
8. a landing net must be used when fishing at a reservoir, and when fishing for migratory fish in
rivers;
9. wading in reservoirs is prohibited.
10. fishing for salmon or sea trout from the foreshore, in any estuary or at sea is not permitted.

For Reservoirs:
(a) live bait, worms, ground bait and organic matters, including substances with which artificial bait
may be impregnated, shall not be used (except on Eairy Dam);
(b) Clypse and Kerrowdhoo Reservoirs are restricted to fly fishing only;
(c) there is an overall bag limit of 4 trout per day; catch and release must not be continued after the
4th fish has been caught.

On the plus side: "Very few stretches of private streams are private fishing and boards advertise this. These apart, there is in the main an unwritten code of understanding, which dates back for many years, that the considerate angler may fish where he wishes. This system only exists because of a legacy of reasonableness from both the angler and land owners and may change if abused. The Manx National Trust glens are certainly open to all. Show commonsense and respect, and if in doubt knock on a nearby door and ask. At present there are rarely any problems."

I have fished in several european country's  "no easy process or cheap" and it sure opens your eyes to the freedom's we have in the good old US of A

smile

Board footer