Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-04-10 10:23AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Solunar Periods: The Real Deal or an Old Wives' Tale?

I've always been a bit skeptical about the importance of solunar periods. So many people out there swear by them and plan their entire outings around them, but in reality there is actually very little scientific evidence out there to back it up. Even the solunar "experts" out there who create these tables have no idea why they should work. Most of them point to scientific studies done in the 1920's and 30's, mainly on saltwater mussels.

Now I'm not saying it's a bunch of baloney. The moon and sun obviously play a huge role in determining the activity patterns of fish and game. Their movements dictate seasonal and tidal changes, weather patterns, temperature and light conditions, etc. But to assume that there is an unexplained pattern of solar and lunar interaction that causes fish to bite at certain times seems a bit far-fetched to me.

The way I see it, the solunar period deal is similar to the Farmer's Almanac, in that its info is purely empirical and based on many years of observation, but has no known scientific basis. It may be right more than it's wrong, but I'm not gonna go and put down all the rent money on whatever it predicts. I suspect that other influences (ie. weather, tide, temperature and light conditions) play a much greater role in determining when a fish decides to eat. Bass do not care what the sun and the moon are doing. The only thing they care about is how these celestial objects affect the environment that they live in.

I would be interested to hear what some of the experts(Charlie, Capt. Mike, Curly) have to say about the topic...

NOTE: Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to create an argument here or put down anyone's methods. I just think that sometimes it's a good idea to challenge the assumptions and claims of others before accepting what they say as truth (especially when it comes to fishing). I guess I'm just the type of person who wants to find out for himself rather than just taking someone else's word for it. This is the way I have always been with everything, and if it rubs anyone the wrong way I do apologize.

#2 Mar-04-10 10:59AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Solunar Periods: The Real Deal or an Old Wives' Tale?

I'm not convinced either, but it wouldn't hurt to do a little mini-experiment. I'd like to match the lunar times with my most productive tide times (fish when they both coincide) and see if I start doing any better than usual.

#3 Mar-04-10 11:10AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

I think the best way to experiment impartially would be to just go out and fish like you normally would, record the times when you had the most success, and then go back and compare them to the tables. If the times when you caught em coincide with the major feeding times more often than not, then I would say there may be something to it.

#4 Mar-04-10 11:13AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

I fish when I can get a chance.  The Big Three Ws are what I base my fishing on............ Weather, Work, and Wife (and in that order lol ) dictate when I'm wetting a line. big_smile

lol, so true. I barely got to fish last year so I take any chance I can at getting on the water.

#5 Mar-04-10 11:24AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Curly wrote:

I fish when I can get a chance.  The Big Three Ws are what I base my fishing on............ Weather, Work, and Wife (and in that order lol ) dictate when I'm wetting a line. big_smile

You are a lucky guy. I base my fishing on Wife, Work, and then Weather....though you have been married longer than I have!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#6 Mar-04-10 11:55AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

purpleworm wrote:

I think the best way to experiment impartially would be to just go out and fish like you normally would, record the times when you had the most success, and then go back and compare them to the tables. If the times when you caught em coincide with the major feeding times more often than not, then I would say there may be something to it.

you're right, that's what I'll do.

#7 Mar-04-10 12:07PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I wish I had enough control of my schedule to fish certain windows like that. Instead, I take what I can get.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#8 Mar-04-10 3:19PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

After seeing one of Rapala Andy's post and Curly's comments on it back in nov or december, I took note of the best times and paid attention during the late hunting season. There was one weekend the best times were around 130 and sure enough the deer got off their beds and started moving, same thing the next week (I think it was 10 am peak and they were getting up and moving around 1030).  While it may not be 100% its worth trying to be out during those times. Now does that mean I won't go just because the best time is 300 pm and I can get out at 8 am. Heck no...

#9 Mar-04-10 6:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

CozUF2001 wrote:

I wish I had enough control of my schedule to fish certain windows like that. Instead, I take what I can get.

Yep.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Mar-04-10 11:26PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Doug Hannon sent me one of his "Solunar Table" Wheels last year and I kept it on the visor of my vehicle. I tried to check it before I got on the water, but generally forgot it.  I almost always checked it after getting off the water, however, and I was astounded to find that it was almost 100% accurate. Most, but not all, of the fish caught out of my boat were taken during the "good" times listed on the wheel.

That being said, I believe in the idea of fishing when you have the time. Weather, wives & work mean nothing at my age. I go fishing when I feel like fishing and I seldom go without catching fish. I may not load the boat, but then again, I am only interested in getting away from telephones, wives and bosses.

During the 17 years I guided on the Potomac River, I determined that a number of factors affected the catches of myself and my clients. (other than ability, skill and equipment)  One was the day of the week.  Tuesday was always best, followed by Thursday, Wednesday, Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, in that order.  The other was the time of day.  Although more fish were caught at dawn and dusk, the larger fish were generally taken between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.  I cannot tell you why, but this was demonstrated over and over.  Every citation smallmouth (4+ pounds) caught out of my boat on the upper Potomac River was taken between these hours.  Most of the 7+ pound largemouth bass caught were taken between the same hours. The last factor was tidal movement. Most fish were taken on the low end of the outgoing tide, although fish were normally caught on all tides.

I will e-mail Doug and try to get an explanation for the effectiveness of these tables.

Charlie NHBA.........

#11 Mar-05-10 3:10AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The old Field and Stream tables in the back of the magazine?
Yea. I would try to look at them and see if I had a great day at peak times. But often I would forget to compare them.

When I did really buckle down and compare them to my day they where spot on most of the time. But I was only 15 years old so we have that to consider..
Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#12 Mar-05-10 5:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

So, in summary (lots of great posts). If you are determined, organized, flexible etc....you can go fish during majors and minors. If you get out to fish when you get out to fish, you will touch one of these cycles while you are fishing.

For me, I could care less because I will go fishing when I have the time to go fishing.....so that I can chill, relax and have a good time with the crew I am fishing with! Frankly, I get as exited watching someone catch a fish on my boat as I do catching my own. I have experienced many others' "1sts" on my boat and I am very proud of that.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer