Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-03-10 5:10PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

A question to ponder

Lures are great and there are so many to choose from. Some catch fish and the others catch your money. This brings me to the question at hand..

Do you think the "lure" or the "presentation" (to include movement and location) are mostly responsible for caught fish.

Not a trick question.. I have seen fish caught on black plastic bags and I have seen fish not caught on very expensive lures.

Is the score maybe 50/50 or more like 10/90.

I am interested in your responses. We can get a spreadsheet and some 4x6 charts to score the responses.

Thanks

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#2 Feb-03-10 6:03PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: A question to ponder

Curly wrote:

My experiance...............90/10 presentation/lure.  i have not bought a bass crankbait in 10 years.

Here Here the crankbait...I cannot catch one on the crankbait!  My goal for this year:  Catch a fish on a crankbait to boost my confidence with them!

#3 Feb-03-10 6:27PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I think it's mostly the presentation. I do not think color or different kinds of similar baits necessarily makes a difference, ie: pumpkin with black vs red flakes or a Rattlin' Rap vs. a RatLTrap...I think as long as you get the general type of bait that the bass are looking for and put it in the area where they are then you will do fine.

#4 Feb-03-10 7:17PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

PRESENTATION all the way! IMO, color has minimal effects in enticing a fish to bite and only aids in making a lure more visible in different water conditions.

#5 Feb-04-10 6:24AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

So far Presentation matters most?

As I think about this then why are there so many new fangled lures out there?

Capt Mike

#6 Feb-04-10 6:24AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Redskinsfan360, I will take you to "the swimming pools" this spring and provide you with the crankbait and location to gain all the confience you will need for shallow cranking. This is a top secret loction, so you8 will need to be sworn in to "The circle of trust"....LOL

#7 Feb-04-10 6:25AM

Ernie
Administrator

I think that there is no exact answer to the good Captain's question.

As an example, I have presented a particular fly to blue gills that they would not take no matter what I did. I changed color and still no answer.  changed style and BAM....they went nuts!

I have witnessed the same at the CPPT, a different lure was working yet we were all fishing the same way.

So, I am sure there is a formula that takes tha following in to play: presentation, color, lure style (anything else?).

.....and then there is fresh cut bait!

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Feb-04-10 8:54AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I believe it mostly depends on whether or not the fish are in the mood to eat. Be it aggressively, reactively, or defensively, a fish will hit what is around them if the mood is right. Perhaps we need to butter them up a bit and wine and dine these fish to catch them off guard!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#9 Feb-04-10 9:55AM

Ernie
Administrator

And then we have American and Hickory shad that will strike a fly and a shad dart yet they are not eating......

#10 Feb-04-10 10:50AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

flippin4it wrote:

Redskinsfan360, I will take you to "the swimming pools" this spring and provide you with the crankbait and location to gain all the confience you will need for shallow cranking. This is a top secret loction, so you8 will need to be sworn in to "The circle of trust"....LOL

Thanks!  That would would be tight!

#11 Feb-04-10 12:05PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

The vast reserves of deep introspect and thought processes are really not needed for the real fisherman. A gut feeling says use this lure here and this way...

So easy a cave man can do it. Right .......No not right it takes more and sometimes less...

I would like to add that the more you over think about it, the least likely you are to enjoy it...

Capt Mike

Last edited by captmikestarrett (Feb-04-10 12:11PM)

#12 Feb-04-10 12:20PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Too deep for my blood...just like the bass this time of year. If it is that cold, my wife insists they are sleeping. I insist they can be caught. She calls me crazy, I call her honey. What are you gonna do?!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#13 Feb-04-10 12:28PM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

Coz, you can come to. Enjoyed meeting/fishing with you last fall.

#14 Feb-04-10 2:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

I would like to add that the more you over think about it, the least likely you are to enjoy it... Capt Mike

Agreed....that's why I like using some of the old , beat up lures that I sue. Charlie Taylor laughed at my mini arsenal once when we fished a tourney together. Bottom line is that I caught fish and had a blast!

Carl knows that I will change lures just for the heck of it after we have been slamming the perch on a particular color. Why? 'cause I want to and to see if I can do it.  If I don't catch any, so what. Better than sitting around writing this stuff.

In a few weeks, I am bringing my fly rod (sinking lie) to the Occoquan to see if I can catch a YP. Why? 'cause I want to try and see if I can do it.....

#15 Feb-04-10 4:14PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

on those perch, i usually catch them close to the bottom, in water deeper than eight feet. it will be interesting to see how you fare

they are there now, but not stacked like they will be soon

#16 Feb-04-10 4:36PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Good luck with the yellow perch on the fly Ernie, that sounds like fun.

#17 Feb-04-10 5:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

I can get a sinking line down 10-15 feet with no problem in calm current...

#18 Feb-04-10 7:38PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

The appeal with new lures for me is the presentation abilities and the more realistic look. Lures that move more naturally always get me! With soft plastics, if something looks like it'll wiggle more then I'll buy it! Damn the bait monkey!

#19 Feb-05-10 2:00PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Presentation over lure for sure. However, I do think that both of these elements take a back seat to location and timing.

The way I see it:
60% of angling success or failure is due to location and timing varibles, ie: presence of bait & game fish, weather, good habitat etc.
30% presentation, ie: cast angle & accuracy, profile, vibration and speed of bait
10% type of lure, color etc.

Alot of people get too fixated on lure style or color beacuse these varibles are the easiest to understand and control. Understanding concepts like weather patterns, tides and how they affect the fish takes a bit more thought.

Of course, the best time for that thought process to take place is before you even launch the boat. Like Capt Mike said, once you hit the water, it's time to trust your instincts and keep it simple.

Put yourself in the right place at the right time, make an accurate cast and a natural presentation. Get all that done, chances are you're gonna catch whatever you're fishing for.

#20 Feb-05-10 2:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

Oh...while Mike didn't get a chance to see it when we fished the CBBT, if the fish are blitzing......none of this makes a difference!

#21 Feb-05-10 3:03PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

A little something I picked up somewhere that pertains to this thread. Read and heed.

WORDS OF WISDOM FOR ANGLERS            By Mark Perry
20 Things I learned from tournament fishing……

1. NOTHING beats time on the water, period!

2. Yesterday was just that, YESTERDAY. Today will hold a new set of challenges in finding and catching fish. When they change, you need to change.

3. The harder you work, the more success you will have. There are no shortcuts or magic baits.

4. Do not blame equipment, weather, other boats and anglers, etc. Just fish hard and stay at it when it gets tough. Success will come one cast at a time. Do not allow excuses to exist in your boat. Take ownership of your mistakes and learn from them.

5. If it’s too cold. too hot, too windy, too rainy and even if you are too tired, go fishing anyway. You can bet your competition is out there.

6. Don't be afraid to take chances, learn to listen to that little voice in your head and follow your instincts.

7. Don't be afraid to try new techniques. It’s only new until you catch a fish doing it, and it gets easier with every cast.

8. Don't worry about what the rest of the anglers are catching or how they are catching fish. Worry about getting your limit your way.

9. The hardest fish in a limit are the first and the fifth fish. Always is and always will be.

10. You will lose baits, break rods, and tear up equipment. Get over it.

11. Even the best anglers only win 5-10% of the tournaments they enter.

12. Fish hard but don't forget and enjoy yourself along the way. When it ain't fun anymore simply stop.

13. There is a reason why the same guys finish in the Top 10 week after week. It’s called HARD WORK!

14. Whatever your favorite bait, rod & reel, hat etc. is, always have a spare. Better yet, try and carry two of everything. From tackle to measuring boards, you are gonna lose them.

15. You will encounter jerks on the water. Kill' em with kindness and a smile. There is karma in bass fishing. It all equals out in the end out there on the water.

16. Fish hard from start to finish. Countless tournaments are won in the last few minutes on a regular basis.

17. Surround yourself with anglers that are better than you and pick their brains. Pay attention to their habits. Don't have too much of an ego that will get in the way of learning something from someone. Jump at the chance to fish with anyone that you think is better than you, and it probably will not hurt to fish with folks you think you are better than. None of us are as good as we think we are, and no one is as bad as we think they are. You can learn something from anyone, even if its how NOT to do something.

18. If you want other anglers to stay off of the spots you are fishing, then STOP fishing community water. Put the time in to find the spots on the spots and your own little honey holes. Find your own water.

19. The best way to get over a missed bite or a lost fish is to simply make another cast.

20. Tune out folks who say NEVER and ALWAYS in relation to bass fishing. Neither word applies to the sport, as the bass don't read the same books, watch the same TV shows or hear the same dock talk that we do. The bass have no clue they are ALWAYS supposed to be in an area, and do not realize that they are NEVER supposed to hit that bait at that time of year in that depth in that area.

Hopefully this list will help a person out there like it has me. I refer back to it quite a bit especially when I am going through a slump or not fishing well.

Charlie NHBA.........

#22 Feb-05-10 3:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice.....

#23 Feb-05-10 4:11PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Number 17 from Charlies post reminds of an outing w/ a neighbor who is a great walleye fisherman but who I thought was not such a great (certainly not on my level!) bass angler.  He kicked my butt using a zoom speed worm retrieved at a fast pace, something I smirked at until he started catching.

Board footer