Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-17-10 7:52AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

Shad Fishing

Does anybody know when the shad fishing gets good?  I went last year to fletchers boat house and it was really fun.  I do remember that there are specific times of the year that the shad fishing is good, but I don't know when that is...

Thanks

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#2 Jan-17-10 9:02AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: Shad Fishing

Thanks

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#3 Jan-17-10 9:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

John- we will keep you posted on that. Curly, Jumping Jasper and many others will be fishing that area very soon. Your goal should be to catch some American shad, much more difficult to catch than the hickory...bigger too!

Let me know if you want to try it with a fly rod.....

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-17-10 9:28AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

There are threadfins in fourmile right now in the 2lb+ range

#5 Jan-17-10 11:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thai wrote:

There are threadfins in fourmile right now in the 2lb+ range

Thai....you are the fish ID guru but I though threadfins were small....are these gizzard shad?

#6 Jan-17-10 11:39AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

You know what Ernie..you're right, I was mearly going on the dorsal fin trailer....forgot about size! They were in fact gizzards!

#7 Jan-17-10 12:31PM

Ernie
Administrator

Those puppies are hard to catch. You need to flash and aggravate them to get a reaction "bite".

#8 Jan-17-10 1:35PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

or you can accidentally snag them suckers like I did.... smile

#9 Jan-18-10 10:52AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

What's a gizzard?  How and when do you catch them?

Also, is there a website I can go to to check water temps?

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#10 Jan-18-10 12:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

A gizzard (mud) shad is a bait fish. You only catch them by mistake. Capt. Mike likes to use them for blue cat bait but he gets his with a net.

Go here and look around: http://md.water.usgs.gov/

Every dot is another river/creek station

#11 Jan-18-10 4:04PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I caught a 14-inch gizzard shad today.  Snagged it's tail with a spoon.

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/270045/shad.JPG

Last edited by T. (Jan-18-10 4:10PM)

#12 Jan-18-10 4:13PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

LOL I managed 3 bass today man, it was deff slow but not dead, ran into alot of gizzards but had enough self control to not try and set the hook...I had enough slimey shad at the end of my line the other day!

#13 Jan-18-10 4:37PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

You're right about them being slimey.  This was my first experience with one.  The thing that stood out was their sliminess, just water wasn't easily cleaning off my hand, had to use the old shirt I carry around.

#14 Jan-18-10 4:50PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

yeah not the easiest fish to get a good grip on....I would just hold the hook up and let gravity take them off....but sometimes you have the ones that are hooked good and must get dirty....

#15 Jan-18-10 6:36PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I will need you to cut one up and smear the smell all over your hands and pants.. Hmm gizzard shad...

Now you will smell like me after a day of cat fishing.. The girls will love your new perfume.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#16 Jan-18-10 6:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

I will need you to cut one up and smear the smell all over your hands and pants.. Hmm gizzard shad...

Now you will smell like me after a day of cat fishing.. The girls will love your new perfume.

His boat is all about that smell.....luckily, the last time I fished with him, he had a fresh and lively supply of Black Salties!

#17 Jan-20-10 1:40PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

That is the cologne I wear..not the boat..

Back on subject SHAD. A good book to read is The Founding Fish BTW..

I met a gent up in PA called the The Shad Man who guides the Susky in a tin row boat. I invited him to come fish the Dragon and he bestowed on me a method for shad that I have used with great success. He ties two long dropper loops about 14 inches each above a 4 oz weight. To these loops he loops in a very small silver snap swivel and a flutter spoon. Drops it behind the boat and places the rod in a rod holder.

http://www.troutmagnet.com/store/images/Web%20Pictures%20073.jpg

This is deadly on the both hickory and whites.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#18 Jan-21-10 10:56PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Fishin4Food:
Spawning shad normally come into the Fletcher's area when the shadbush are in bloom. Since these shrubs are not plentiful and most people do not know what they are, just look for dogwood trees.  When the dogwood bloom, the hickory and white shad, herring, white perch and stripers are in the river. Gizzard shad are resident year round and may be caught at any time.

Pacemaker:
Gizzard shad are relatively easy to catch. I love to fish for them at Blue Plains Sewage Treatment outflow. Just toss out a 1/4 oz. Silver Buddy on ultra light tackle and let it fall. As it tumbles through the clear water discharge, the shad will pick up the flashing bait and it is on!  These fish run from 1-3 pounds and are a real fight on 4# line and ultra light.  While most anglers think that you have to snag them, these fish actually take them fully in the mouth.  They make drag screaming runs and jump like a smallmouth and you can catch one on every cast.

Thai:
To eliminate the slimy smell, don't touch them.  In spite of catching 50+ per trip, I never touch one.  I take a four foot length of parting bead (1/2"x3/4" wood molding) and staple a 4"x4" piece of hardware cloth to the end of it.  When I bring the fish next to the boat, I use the hardware cloth to snag the loose treble hook on the Silver Buddy and give it a quick jerk.  This dislodges the hook in the fish's mouth, releasing the fish with no slimy smell or residue on boat or on me.  In the event that a large (3#) fish grabs all three tines of the treble hook, it becomes necessary to grab the shank of the treble hook and twist sharply.  This will normally dislodge the most stubbornly ingested hook.

All:
In addition to gizzard shad, this method also results in largemouth bass, channel catfish and striped bass being caught. If you think a nice big gizzard shad fights hard, get a seven pound striper on ultra light. That becomes more fun than anything else I can think of.  If the weather will ever start cooperating, I will be out there after the shad.

Charlie NHBA.........

Board footer