Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-02-10 6:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

Fishing at CBBT

For those of us that fish the CBBT, there are several websites that we check to get info on the fishing. As well, we have some good connections of guys that fish down there regularly. This year, the reports have been sparse and somewhat negative. One fellow, a young teacher that has been fishing all of his life, says it's not even worth the money anymore. One of the guides down there, Capt. Chris Newsome, will no longer book trips down there due to weather cancellations and lack of good activity. Apparently, on the 31st, the last day of the season, there were only a dozen trailers at Kiptopeake. In years past, that place would have been packed!

There are many theories on the downturn. Among the reasons cited for the lack of fish are: colder water temps (what do you say about that Al Gore?), lack of bait (menhaden) due to commercial overfishing, no slot limit in the ocean, pollution and run off. I could go on.

For me, the trip is enjoyable once you get in the truck and motor down to get on the water. Playing the weather, worrying about reservations, fear of losing a hard earned vacation day etc is a pain in the rear. I was surprised at how easy the one-day trip was (other than the bearing problem).

I suspect that the lack of reports and the lack of fish will eventually help the fishery. I am always amazed as to how much "meat" is taken by fishermen. Anymore, I only want to keep a few for the crew if any at all. The guides have to work hard to catch the "meat" which I what their clients demand. In my humble opinion, this is killing the fishery. Thankfully, many of the guides that we know practice C & R for the most part.

Striper fishing is a multi-million dollar industry. To preserve it, stricter slot limits need to be put in place and they need to make the ocean off limits for at least a 60 day period. These fish need to recover or regroup or we will be in trouble.

I want to be able to see more smiles like the one Mike had when he caught his biggest one ever on the 30th. I know we can top that next year!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer