Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-25-09 12:15PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

does length matter?

i got a BPS tourney series baitcast combo for x-mas..! but it is only 5"6, i can change it for a different size but is it worth it or should i just stick with it?  any tips, advice, or opinions are great, thanks!

#2 Dec-25-09 12:27PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: does length matter?

I would fish with it a few times and see how you like it. Generally, I find that shorter rods are more difficult to set the hook with, especially on single-hook baits like t-rigs or jigs because they don't take up as much line on a hookset and therefore don't get as much penetration in the fish's mouth. Like I said, try it out for yourself and then if you don't like it, change it for a different one. BPS has a very good return policy.

#3 Dec-25-09 1:30PM

Ernie
Administrator

Great rod for tight spaces and making accurate casts. You will need it and use it.

However, the hook setting theory can be discussed. It also depends on backbone and tip action.

But do as Dan says so you can be comfortable and have something that is more versatile.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Dec-25-09 2:43PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

i put line on it and it casts well. i was just wondering because of the reasons dan brought up

#5 Dec-25-09 3:53PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

what power/action is it? lure weight? what would you like to use it for?

#6 Dec-25-09 4:02PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

its a medium heavy- im gonna use alot of t-rigged baits

#7 Dec-25-09 4:24PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

and another question- since ill be using alot of soft plastics- what is the best line to use when it comes to flipping on the bed etc..

#8 Dec-25-09 4:33PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i feel like an old man, but...
"back before you were born"
we used short, pistol grip baitcasters. i could whip mine like a frog's tongue, and just as accurate.

see how it feels for you.  for shoreline fishing it might help you get off more casts around trees and brush.

you can adjust and make do w/ just about anything. i like my 9' st croix ultralight, but there are times when it is a pain. when i use it all the time it is very natural.

the other day i switch my reel to my short UL rod. feels ridiculous for a while ( being about 1/2 the length )
but by the end of the day the real difference isnt so much.

#9 Dec-25-09 5:28PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

yea its a pistal grip just like my 1980's zebco browning combo. which i used until mid-spring this year.

#10 Jan-14-10 9:44AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

a 5'6 MH casting rod is not ideal for flipping/pittching and t rigged plastics, IMO

but it is great for working spinnerbaits and topwaters, etc, around shoreline cover where quick accurate casts are a must.

for what it sounds like you are looking for, I'd go no shorter than 6'6", and 7' wouldn't hurt either.  Go with a rod power that matches the weights that you plan on using and a fast or extra fast action.

I use braid for all my bass fishing so, rod length vs hookset is not a problem.
And there's a lot of debate for long vs short rods, but not all things are created equal.  a short stiff heavy rod with braid will allow a better hookset than a long noodle rod with light mono.  lots to consider

i agree though, give it a try and see what you think.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#11 Jan-14-10 4:54PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

well i have 2 6'6 baitcasters, one of them is really heavy and thick for flipin and pitchin.. i have flourocarbon on both of them and im gonna put braid on the bigger one once the frog bite comes around.

Board footer