Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-03-09 8:08PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Carl's Birthday on the Occoquan

After my report about a successful crappie outing earlier in the week, I was expecting a call from Carl to arrange a trip of our own. Sure enough, he called me right after he read my report! We went out today to try to celebrate his birthday by catching some crappie in the Occoquan River. If it weren't for the wind it would have been an awesome day for fishing! Even so, we managed to find some fish.

Carl fished with the indestructible Dawson's super minnows and I fished with a silver buddy (for the first time)

The first spot we fished produced around 20 crappie on Tuesday. Today, it seemed the bass had moved in. We caught a few bass there and Carl caught a yellow perch. On Tuesday, the other two guys in the boat caught some yellow perch from the same spot. I STILL HAVE NOT CAUGHT ONE! Everyone around me can catch them but for some reason they avoid me like the plague!!! It was difficult to manage the boat and the baits with all the wind so we ended up finding some sheltered water near Hoffmaster's along with a stack of fish on the depthfinder. We stayed on that spot and managed to pull up a few more bass, some big bluegill, a big pumpkinseed, and a decent crappie. The purpose of our trip was so Carl could catch crappie and he did, but not as many as we wanted. Oh well! I guess some days are grab bags as far as what species you will catch.

We returned to some delicious spaghetti with meatballs and cake for dinner. Not such a bad day considering the strong wind and the fact that most of our spots had been fished before we even got to them by some guys I know. They managed around 15 crappie and a half dozen bass or so. I've got to be more careful about sharing my spots! Either that, or I need to adopt fisherman's hours instead of college student hours so that I can get up and get on the water earlier! Despite it all, I think Carl and I agreed that we were satisfied with our results. As always, it's a pleasure to fish with  Carl and I'm glad to be able to celebrate his birthday with him out on the river.

I've just started to fish deep water this season and it's been different but I've had some decent results. I was also glad to be able to catch some fish on a new lure.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3904/1203091309.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/466/1203091441.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8688/1203091445.jpg

#2 Dec-04-09 4:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Carl's Birthday on the Occoquan

Remember....it was December 3rd! Getting to get out on the water was a bonus! Going fishing with Carl on his birthday is a double bonus!

Glad you guys got a decent day.....that's a nice BG on that SB!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-04-09 5:39AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

lol, nice trip! Happy belated bday Carl!

Dan, I don't think avoiding the plague is a bad thing! Fishing for LMB, you'll inevitably catch a yellow perch smile

#4 Dec-04-09 5:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Dan, I don't think avoiding the plague is a bad thing! Fishing for LMB, you'll inevitably catch a yellow perch smile

Yep...they are easy to catch....Coz caught one just the other day in the Village lakes.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Dec-07-09 7:24AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

To be fair we didnt pull a single crappie out of that spot, did pull some bass but I left the Crappe to you and birthday boy as agreed wink

Board footer