Northern Snakehead

Re: Muzzle loader buck 11-13-09

Nice buck! where at?

#3 Nov-17-09 9:07AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Nice chocolate horn buck. 

I hunted a piece of property for the first time (just got permission on halloween) saturday. Headed in a little late (6:50). Saw a truck parked right next to the no tresspassing sign (the nerve of some people/poachers). As I was headed in put randomly put up my stand (its the rut, anything can happen) when I heard the distinctive pop of a cam and the thud of an arrow followed by whitetails scattering in the woods. I put my stand down and waited to see where the guy was coming from. Anyways, turn out that is isn't his truck parked by where I parked (this guy was legal). I helped him track, recover, and dress his doe.

In the afternoon they were really moving, tons of deer grunting in the woods. I had set up that afternoon on the edge of a thicket that lead out to an oak flat. There was a pretty good funnel there with some down trees. The problem was, they were just coming from all directions. I had set my stand up in the only good tree at the corner of the thicket, the only problem was they were popping out it about 40 yards away so I just got to watch most of the action. As wet as everything was, I was just standing looking off in one direction when I would get the feeling I was being watched and turn around and see another buck running around like a crazed beagle after a rabbit. Deer were popping out at 1230, 145, 220, 330, and 510. The one that popped out at 510 was a real nice buck that walked by at about 7 yards. I decided not to shoot since it was getting dark in a hurry. When I was helping the guy find his doe earlier on, my colorblindness was killing me. In all those leaves with the red spots plus being wet, I just could not see the blood. I could follow the tracks in the leaves just fine and find a drop here and there. So, with that said I decided to let him walk instead of taking the chance of loosing it in the darkness.

#4 Nov-18-09 4:56AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

That is a loudoun county buck. The rut is on and the bucks are chasing does. It is the easiest time to bag a buck.
Good luck Novahunter.

Thanks for all your help Curly! People probably don't know you are a first rate butcher.

smile

#5 Nov-18-09 7:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

I know the Curly in that picture....I have seen him at work!tongue

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Nov-18-09 9:02AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

With Blue Ridge Butchers closed down, is there anyplace in the area the butchers for Hunters 4 the Hungry anymore?

#7 Nov-18-09 11:05AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

NOVAhunter wrote:

With Blue Ridge Butchers closed down, is there anyplace in the area the butchers for Hunters 4 the Hungry anymore?

Marks butcher shop on rt9 was doing it last year. I have never been there, but talked to him on the phone and he seemed very nice.

1 540 454-4470

smile

#8 Nov-18-09 12:59PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Just had this sent to me... Keep an eye out for "the other guy" while your out there

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1816143

I do not understand how this happens.

#9 Nov-18-09 5:19PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

nice deer jeff

I've yet to get out.

I was suppossed to have the week off starting monday night - but my truck had to go in the shop monday morning and i haven't gotten it back yet.

Hopefully I'll get a couple days in the woods next week

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer