Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-10-09 3:23PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

occoquan

we caught bass by the railroad bridge south of 95 at low tide.

i got mine on J&P
buddy on a small worm

that was the best of it

he said he broke off a good one on the rock wall across from the boat launch before i got there

after, i pier fished and caught some crappie. seems like the big ones havnt moved in yet

#2 Nov-11-09 1:46PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Re: occoquan

I got out there for a bit last Sunday to do some scouting for the NHBA classic next weekend. We fished the front half of Occoquan, Kanes and Massey Creeks. We also caught a bunch around those same railroad bridge pilings. I caught 4-5 small bass, a few shorty stripers, some yellow perch and a big crappie, all on a jigging spoon. We marked some huge schools of baitfish around those bridges that seemed to hang around there all day. Not much going on in the creeks, one short striper on a crankbait in Kanes, nada in Massey. Hopefully the weather shapes up for this weekend, it would be nice to get out on the main river and catch some good ones.

#3 Nov-11-09 2:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

Is the tourney strictly in the Occoquan?

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Nov-12-09 8:50AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

They're gonna decide on Saturday, based on what the weather's doing. I'm hoping this weather blows over and we can get out on the main river. I expect the Occ to be heavily stained after all this rain, and trying to catch bass in cold, muddy water is never easy.

Last edited by purpleworm (Nov-12-09 8:52AM)

#5 Nov-12-09 4:21PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Actually catching bass in cold muddy water is not tough as one would think. You need a bait that emits sound and provides a small flat profile. It has to suspend and resemble a small bunker. The lure that comes to mind most is a shad rap. As the sun warms a sugar shad or maybe a rattle trap will work best.

If the water is below 52 degrees I suggest a bulky jig with some smelly jelly on it. I like those sting ray grubs on a light jig head. I also had great success with Berkly Power Bait grubs.. white and tan.

Worms not so good.. Bomber A's in fire tiger area good choice any time..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Nov-12-09 5:33PM

Ernie
Administrator

Sounds like a recipe or success for the NHBA tourney....I may need to find a boat.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Nov-13-09 8:59AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the advice Capt Mike, I'll be sure to give those baits a try. Looks like the weather's shaping up for tomorrow, hopefully we can make a run across the river and fish Mattawoman during outgoing tide.

Board footer