Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-17-09 4:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

IMPORTANT - CCA Questions Obama Administration’s Ocean Policy

Task Force omission of recreational angling a glaring flaw

HOUSTON, TX - A recently issued report of the White House Interagency Ocean Task Force has caused widespread concern among America’s recreational anglers. Released just weeks after the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) promised to take a “fresh look” at the federal agency’s relationship with recreational anglers, the Interim Report threatens to fast-track sweeping reforms for the management of resources in federal waters, but fails to recognize – or even mention – the conservation, economic or social contributions of recreational angling.

To see the rest of this release and additional background information on this highly contentious issue, including ways to attend or access the final Public Listening Session on the Obama National Ocean Policy, go to the CCA Newsroom (http://www.joincca.org/media%20room/Fed … Policy.htm).

Make your voice heard on this issue now!

Anglers have the opportunity to make their voices heard at the White House by sending comments to the Council on Environmental Quality.

Going here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/administratio … rimreport/ will take you to a web site that is designed to take comments on the Interim Report of the Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force. Please take a few moments to make your feelings known and feel free to use material from the sample comments below:

Sample comments

"As one of 60 million anglers in the United States, I am writing to express my deep concerns regarding the National Ocean and Great Lakes Policy proposal recently released by the Ocean Policy Task Force.  I am very disappointed that the task force failed to recognize the significant conservation, economic and social contributions of recreational fishing and include that as a key policy component.  I am also very concerned about the abbreviated 90 day timeline which forced the Task Force to rush to issue this policy document.  The implications of such a policy are vast and nationwide.  Therefore, the review process should be very deliberate and with more than 30 days of public review and comment."

Make sure your voice is heard so that anglers' conservation, economic and social contributions are recognized as a key component of any national oceans policy.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-17-09 5:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: IMPORTANT - CCA Questions Obama Administration’s Ocean Policy

So it doesn't mention fishing? Does it include anything that would be harmful to recreational fishing?

#3 Oct-17-09 5:22PM

Ernie
Administrator

Look at page 3, Section III of the reoprt. It says that the Task Force met with a bunch of folks representing many activities like fishing. They were commercial fishermen. Recs were not represented. This happens often. Recreational fishermen spend BILLIONS of dollars every year. We need a voice and that is what teh CCA is intending to do.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Oct-17-09 5:56PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

ok. gotcha. I just printed out the report and I am going to go through it after the football games are over.

Board footer