Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-30-09 1:42PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

9-29-09 Spa Creek

Mo and I launched at Truxton Park at 6:30 am. It was breezy enough to consider staying in Spa Creek rather than try the trip up the river to Weems Creek. We began fishing where we left off last week.

Sunrise was not until 7:00 am so we began casting our lures in the dark. For thirty minutes we got no bumps. As I look back over the years of white perch fishing, I cannot remember catching them in the dark. I now believe they do not bite in the dark.

When the sun came out, so did the perch. Mo got the dollar fish and from that moment on, I had a difficult time keeping up with him. The best I did was to momentarily pull ahead by two fish. Mo came up with a theory. If you cast too many times in the same area, they will lose interest in that lure. When the bite fell off, he would grab rod #2 and things began happening again.

His solution was to use a second rod with an entirely different lure. It worked and the rest is history! The final count was Mo--35 to Carl--26. I taught him what I know; now maybe I should watch him.

#2 Sep-30-09 1:56PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 9-29-09 Spa Creek

I haven't met Mo yet, and I'm sure not questioning the count, but I think it would have been much closer if Ernie was there counting the perch. Although from my experience he seems to favor the new guy.  Never mind.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Sep-30-09 2:49PM

Ernie
Administrator

My theory is that braided line, which Carl uses, pulls the beetle spins too hard. They need to flutter and give (like they do with mono). I suggested to Carl that he fish with mono next time....there will be no contest if that happens.

I wonder what the readers of these posts think? Here are three old guys talking about the techniques of catching 6-12" fish!!     roll

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Oct-01-09 1:51AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Ernie, Bob-- I think it is a sad thing that only us old guys truly appreciate white perch. You know we have talked about this before.

When you use UL, there is no other fish that has the qualities of the WP. I'm speaking about this geographic area. They are available in all brackish water that is contiguous to the Chesapeake Bay. Because they are so prolific, there are no laws governing them. They fight like no other fish of their size. They inhabit the shallows, so it is not necessary to travel far from the boat ramp, making them accessible by small boats.

Last, but not least, they taste great! They lowly WP has always played "second fiddle" behind the Yellow Perch. I think it is up to us to show the next generation of fishermen the merits of the lowly WP.

#5 Oct-04-09 9:28AM

Ernie
Administrator

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/SANY05691.jpg

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer