Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-26-09 3:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-26-09, Getting schooled in Annapolis

Carl is boat less so he convinced me to take him fishing today, despite the fact that I fished yesterday and drove a total of 340 miles for the day. I put him on a guilt trip for sure.

Anyway, I also invited Bob Morgan (Osprey) to come along so we could show him how and where to catch white perch in Weems and Spa creeks.

I met up with Carl around 0545 and 40 minutes later, we picked up Bob at his home in Forrestville. On to the ramp we went! Carl kept challenging Bob and told him how we had to catch enough perch to feed this large Viet Nameese family he knows and how our "record" was 111 WP.

We started out in the Spa Creek honey hole. Carl and Bob each caught three (including a nice double header) and I caught one.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0517.jpg

It was a clear and cool morning but with some stiff East winds. All the big boats were being cleaned, they always look spotless!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0518.jpg

While the creeks were calm, the Severn River was churning a bit, just what Carl likes. We then went up to Weems to get serious, we needed to show Bob what was to be.....

Well.....it didn't happen that way. I don't know how it happened so fast, but at one point, I had 6 perch, Carl had 13 and Bob was up in the mid 20's. He was throwing every lure in the book at 'em and catching them all. it was humbling....stunning.....debilitating....all of these words and then some. He was smoking us....he even caught this nice Yellow Perch!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0519.jpg

Carl did catch quite a few of the bigger horse perch.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP0520.jpg

After the fishing lesson, I decided to take us back to Spa creek since the weather looked like it was going to turn for the worse. I motored up to a spot that I had done well at and proceeded to catch some.  I did manage to make a little dent in Bob's leads but I caught up to Carl ....needless to say, he did not like that and got very serious. By now, Bob was so far ahead that Carl simply concentrated on making sure I did not catch more fish than him.

At 2 PM, we were all worn out....we should have been as we worked hard for these perch. Casting was difficult and we had many a snag.

At the end, Bob caught 67 WP!!  Carl had 41 and I ended up with 40. That is a grand total of 148 quality white perch for the day! All on ultra light tackle and all on artificials.

As Bob said, having that much fun should be illegal!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-27-09 8:05AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 9-26-09, Getting schooled in Annapolis

Watching paint dry in the company of Carl and Ernie would be a fun day. Catching fish was a bonus. Thanks guys.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Sep-27-09 9:04AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Watching paint dry in the company of Carl and Ernie would be a fun day. Catching fish was a bonus. Thanks guys.

I don't think Carl slept last night....all he could think about is how well you did on your maiden voyage. But it's not like you have never caught a white perch before. I quote (from an early AM email), "he handed us our butts after a total thrashing!".

The other thing I thought about was that "Grey Poupon" kayaker said, "Oh, the are catching little fish". What an ignorant statement. We had rods bent over in an upside down "U" shape and screaming drags when we caught the 10 inchers. Most folks have no clue how much fun this can be....and how tasty these guys are.

It was a most enjoyable fishing outing despite using the wrong type of bat for this. In a few days, Carl will have a new WP boat to christen!

#4 Sep-27-09 10:43AM

fishin4food
Northern Snakehead
Website

What kind of bait did you use?  Where can you find white perch? Brackish water?

john.hill.t94@gmail.com

#5 Sep-27-09 2:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

fishin4food wrote:

What kind of bait did you use?  Where can you find white perch? Brackish water?

John- We use beetle spins using 1/8 oz jig heads with curly tails, beetles, you name it. White perch are in any and all of the Chesapeake feeder creeks and rivers. They hit hard and are strong fighters. For me, the key is ultra light.

Maybe you can put a club outing together and a couple of boat owners can take you guys out (I have plenty of UL tackle). It will have to be next summer or early fall 'cause after the first frost, these guys go deep!

#6 Sep-28-09 2:39AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Ernie has been telling me, for months, that he wanted to introduce me to Bob Morgan. Well, I'm glad he did. This fishing trip was about as good as white perch fishing can get. Bob really has UL casting mastered; as is evident by Ernie's report.

The only part missing from Bob's style of fishing, is the vocal part. When Mo, Ernie or I hook a fish, people in surrounding counties are informed of our pending conquest! Now that I think about it, this part probably must be omited by Bob, because by the end of the trip, he would be hoarse! The man knows how to fish.

Board footer