Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-15-09 1:50PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

2 days on the kayak

9/14 Launched by 301 bridge and fished shoreline below the power plant. Had the absolute worst tide for the shallow water and still had good action. All were 12 - 16" except for 2 that were legal and covered with sores. Left there at 12:30 and went scouting for Ernies duck blind. Found the Chaptico ramp and caught a dozen dink perch fishing from the pier and nearby shoreline.

9/15 Launched at Chaptico and paddle / trolled down to Ernie's duck blind. Started off throwing a chug bug till the sun cleared the horizon. Had two good blow-ups and a lot of small ones with no hookups. Tried some shad assassins but wound up feeding little blues, so I switched to a beetle spin for perch. Bailed perch thru the whole incoming tide, but only had 6 that I would call keepers. (need some input from Carl) Also landed 1 small blue and 2 16" rock. I had something grab that beetle spin that nearly spooled me. I had to tighten the drag which of course pulled the hook. What I got back didn't resemble a fishing lure. The tail was intact, but the spinner was gone, the wire was mangled  and the hook was straightened out. I'm going to guess a decent rock, but as fast as it took line it might have been a decent bluefish.

I made the mistake of letting the tide push me into the little creek and found out how shallow it is in there. Almost had to get out and pull the yak out of there. It's really surprising how strong the current is in the entrance. There must be more back in there than meets the eye. Next Thursday calls for high tide at 7:30 AM. I'm betting the rock line up there for the buffet on the outgoing tide. Hope I can be there for it.

Last edited by Osprey (Sep-16-09 6:26AM)

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#2 Sep-15-09 5:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 2 days on the kayak

Keepers are hard to come by in the Wicomico...Swan Pt. is better.

I think it's great that you did this. Next year, we'll have Carl tow us to different fishing areas!

I have been back in that creek in a boat...lots of water and lots of bait coming out as the tide goes out.

You and Carl need to get together......

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer