Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-14-09 2:05AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

nhba 9/13

went out w/ charlie taylor

were on fish quickly

charlie filled out his limit- while i had a particulary good roast beef sub, from WaWa, at 7am.

it took a while for my hands to wake up, and for my chitty-chitty bang-bang thought process to lumber into it's uneven idle.

i was throwing a hematoma sweet beaver, on a weighted 4/0 hook.
it takes a looong time to hit bottom w/ this contraption.
as i was reeling up, i missed my first bite

then i missed a few more

cutting to the chase:
i hatch the hairbrained idea to throw a 1/4 ounce boo yah, w/ an orange senko as a trailer
perhaps i detect the faintest glint of "curiousity" from CT

i like to follow my hunches
1 in 10 works, and this was a good one.
i picked up five respectable bass that charlie estimated at over ten pounds for the lot

i was reluctant to livewell them, as my conscious feels catch and release is torment enough for any bass.
-but, wanting for a moment to be recognized, i took up charlie's time as he tagged and dropped my catch
in w/ his limit

later he would look on in disbelief as i unhinged and pitched, one by one, these fish back into the water

i have watched 3 weigh-ins now, and feel i made the right decision-for me
fish belong in the water
a quick weight and photo on the water would seem to be plenty of documentation for a gentlemen's tournament

why not just a scorecard and a pencil ??

very good then.
Thanks to CT and NHBA for a fine day

#2 Sep-14-09 6:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: nhba 9/13

I have fished with Charlie on a couple of occasions and I have seen that look from Charlie when he sees some of the "stuff" that I throw at the fishies!

It sounds like you had a good day and kudos on your decision to release the fish. For me, I am OK on keeping fish in the livewell when the water is cool.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-14-09 8:33AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

but why fish a tournament if you aren't going to weigh fish?

#4 Sep-14-09 11:04AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

I also fished this tournament, nice to finally meet you Jeff. I came in 5th with 7 lbs even, my partner in 8th with 5.4. I think the winner only had 8 something, so if Charlie's estimations are correct jeffie would have easily won this tournament. Fishing was tough yesterday, especially if you didn't secure a limit early with the last bit of outgoing tide. Congrats to bigjeffie for a fine day of fishing. It's always fun catching em on something unique you come up with yourself. I may have to give that jig/senko trailer a shot next time.
Chosing not to weigh fish in a tournament may seem a bit odd, but there isn't much money at stake in the NHBA tx's. There are also many more rewarding aspects of getting to fish with guys like Charlie Taylor than a few extra bucks and bragging rights. I personally have no problems keeping fish in a livewell for an afternoon. I know bass do not have feelings or feel pain, so the stress of riding in a livewell isn't any worse than weather changes, predation and all the other stuff Mother Nature already throws at them. But I certainly have no problem with another fellow deciding to throw his catch back, especially if it bumps me up from 6th place to 5th smile I'm pretty sure that every fish weighed was released alive anyhow.
My partner and I went back out for a bit after the weigh-in and found a good school of undersized striper. We caught about a dozen or so in just a few minutes, with a handful of nice bass mixed in as well.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/potomac2_091309.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/potomac091309.jpg

Last edited by purpleworm (Sep-14-09 11:06AM)

#5 Sep-14-09 11:14AM

Ernie
Administrator

I need to know where those stripers are....maybe there are a few bigger ones in there!

Nice job to both of you!

BTW, I can think of quite a few reasons to fish the tourney and not weigh in fish. The amount of shared info is unparalleled plus you get to fish in a nice ride!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Sep-14-09 12:58PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

We were quite a ways down from DC when we caught these fish. They were in 5-6 ft of water next to the creek channel edge. We also caught a few off an island point on the main river. A couple came on a spinnerbait and the rest on Bandit 200's in shad colors.

Board footer