Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-26-09 7:52PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

fishing rod repair

i noticed this evening that the line guide a the tip of my rod had lost it's inner  ring

i think these are fuji guides on a st croix

can this be a do it yourself operation, or should i let a pro repair it ?

it is like my right arm, and i dont want to be without it 4 long, but i want a single, permanent, and proper repair

#2 Aug-26-09 8:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: fishing rod repair

I have never repaired a rod or reel so I don't know what it takes. I do know that Phil at Rod 'n Reel repair in Arlington will fix it for you. If you drop it of, I will take it to him on Friday and you will get it back next week. You need to write down what kind of guide you want.

The other alternative is to send it to SC in WI. They will fix it right for the proper fee.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-26-09 8:15PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

what kind of rod is it?

#4 Aug-27-09 8:12AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Rod tips are a pretty easy fix. They sell Fuji replacement guide tips at Dick's and most tackle shops, usually the smaller sizes work best for bass rods. Heat your old rod tip up with a lighter, grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers and gently twist it back and forth until it pulls off the tip of the blank. Put a couple of drops of superglue in the shaft of the new tip, pop it on there and wiggle it down til it's tight and lined up with the other guides. Wipe off any excess glue, let it dry for an hour and you're good to go.

#5 Aug-27-09 9:38AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Not sure how the turn around is but the higher end St. Criox rods' warranty should cover this? You can even trade it in for another! Atleast, I think you can.....i might be wrong.

#6 Aug-27-09 9:54AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

its easy - the hardest part will be finding a matching tip top.  you may have to order it.

chances are its a fuji alconite, size 6 probably. 

a little heat and twist should get it off.  don't want too much heat b/c it will damage the resins in the blank.

to attach the new one, they sell  a tip glue, thats a hot melt style glue.  I cut a few slivers and stuff it inside the tip,  heat lightly to melt the glue and twist it into place.  you have a few seconds to get it aligned, but if its not quite right, a little heat will loosen it back up for corrections. 

I wouldn't use superglue or epoxy, b/c in the event you ever lose the ring or need to replace the tip top for another purpose, it will be much harder to remove and may require cutting it off.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#7 Aug-28-09 2:56AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Jeff:

Gary Hicks of New Horizon Bass Anglers is a professional rod builder. He can fix this in a matter of minutes.
E-mail me and I will give you his e-mail address.

Charlie NHBA.........

#8 Aug-28-09 4:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

I keep forgetting about Gary.....

Jeff dropped off his rod last night and I will be taking that one, along with one of mine, to Phil in Arlington.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer