Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-22-09 6:51PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

hook marks?

I've been seeing a lot of comments about seeing "hook marks" on fish or fish not having them. I was under the impression that all but extremely large hook holes in a bass' mouth would heal and therefore it would be impossible to tell if a fish has been caught before for sure. Was I mistaken? Is there any evidence to suggest that hook wounds will never heal?

#2 Aug-22-09 6:56PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: hook marks?

i have seen some mangled mouths in my days.

i have seen evidence of fish being caught three or more times.

i think some marks heal, but many leave some degree of disfigurement.

perhaps some even get infected, as i have caught fish missing portions of their upper jaw

#3 Aug-22-09 7:34PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I always figured that remaining hook marks were just recent ones that hadn't healed yet. Obviously mouths that have had trebles ripped out of them (as sometimes happens when fishing something like a crankbait on braid and setting the hook too hard) or infections are different but I always figured if the average hook hole never healed then we would be very unlikely to catch very many fish without hook marks in small ponds. Plus, why wouldn't they heal closed most of the time?

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Aug-22-09 7:34PM)

#4 Aug-22-09 9:35PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

well your question got me thinking again, dan.

i googled for info regarding hooks marks on bass, and other than a mention in regard to fishing pressure, litttle data was available

my personal thought is that a hook leaves a permanent mark, of some sort, 75% of the time- particularly on larger fish

i think holes punched through the thin membrane in the upper jaw never heal.

i think a bass that has been caught before in the same season will  exhibit a mark 95% of the time

personally    ,i have caught certain bass in as many as three different seasons, and recognize them by hook marks, as well as other features

#5 Aug-24-09 7:27AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

depends how bad the mark is and where. fish heal faster in certain areas and scarring will occur in some areas as well. I think, the thing membrane in the lips heal fast and cleanly while the larger, thicker, gill plating or lips will leave scarring. Just my opinion.

Board footer