Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-13-09 4:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

Neighborhood Watch and illegal fishing

The following was distributed to the Neighborhood Watch Committee of Ashburn Village:

The Lakes and Ponds Committee has brought to the attention of the Neighborhood Watch Committee a growing concern about an increase in non-resident fishing in the Villages lakes and ponds. At our July 14th meeting the Chairman of the Lakes and Ponds Committee, Gene May said the Village used to have a catch-and-release ordinance but a study was done on the health of the fish population which caused the ordinance to be changed. The new ordinance requires having a valid fishing license, being an Ashburn Village resident and allows for taking up to five fish smaller than 14 inches. The concern of the committees are two fold, paying for nonresidents taking the communities fish since a significant amount of the AVCA's budget goes to maintaining a healthy fish population and concern that fishing can provide a useful cover for checking out residences for potential burglaries.

Because of the second concern, I asked our community policing officer for suggestions and our options to address the problem. He recommends calling the non-emergency number and they will have an officer respond to check the complaint. He has also been enforcing our fishing policy for the last 2 months and has charged upward off 30 people and has noticed a drop of in subjects fishing illegally. In addition he has spoken with the board and they are working on getting more signs posted. They can not I'd people just to see if they live in the village but can check for fishing licenses which will have the subjects address on it and depending on where the people are in relation to the signs determine whether or not the Sheriff can charge them, either way they can tell the people to leave if they are non-residents.

Both committees have discussed our options and are requesting residents keep an eye out for non-resident fishermen, people who are fishing with obvious large buckets, out-of-state license plates and look or act suspicious and are unfamiliar. The lakes and ponds signage states, fishing is for Ashburn Residents only and all others are Trespassing. If you feel someone might be non-resident fishing don't approach or confront them, instead we request you call the Sheriff’s office non-emergency number at (703-777-1021). Explain to them your concern of possible non-resident fishing and trespassing on an Ashburn Village Lake and give them the details. Always let the Sheriff’s office confront them, investigate and make the final decision. It's up to the Sheriff’s department to issue trespassing citations not the HOA.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-13-09 4:26PM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Neighborhood Watch and illegal fishing

Thanks Ernie
Everyone should put that number on speed dial

smile

#3 Aug-13-09 8:44PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm getting scared of fishing out there without one of you residents nearby. Fish aren't worth catching a charge. Even so, that's great that you guys are  making progress on the poaching activities.

#4 Sep-25-09 7:54AM

flippin4it
Northern Snakehead

This is the reason I ask for a fishing partner from your neck of the woods. I to would like to keep it legal. I release all fish and do not litter at all. I respect rules but feel weird about fishing without one of you guys around. Thats why I asked for help on another thread.

#5 Dec-07-09 8:10PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

This may be a gray area but I have noticed that the signs read something along the lines of fishing for residents and guest only, nowhere on them does it say "accompanied guest" which leaves it up to interpretation. So could guest get away with fishing with permission from residents unaccompanied?

#6 Dec-07-09 8:24PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

I thought they did say "accompanied"

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Dec-07-09 8:25PM)

#7 Dec-07-09 8:39PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

I dont remember Acc. being on there..Correct me if I'm wrong, I might have overlooked it, it was one of the older signs though with the C&R only and barbless hooks

Board footer