Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-11-09 5:22PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Co-Polymer versus Monofilament

Got a call from Doug Hannon, The Bass Professor, yesterday. During our conversation, he bowled me over with some information that may be of use to all anglers. I have never heard this before and he provided links to scientific basis for the information.

When you hang up with monofilament line and pull on the line, it stretches. Due to the molecular of this type of nylon, when you relax the tension on the line, it DOES NOT RETURN TO IT'S ORIGINAL SHAPE!  If you took out 50% of the stretch, your line is now 50% of it's original strength.

Co-Polymer line, however, has the molecules interwoven in such a manner that it always returns to it's original shape, thereby retaining 100% of it's original tested strength.

I have been using Silver Thread line for years and have often accused it of being better suited as anchor line than fishing line. Did not realize how much monofilament had conditioned me to think this way.

Tested this today on the Potomac River, as I used 10# Silver Thread on a rod tipped with a Zoom Horny Toad. Landed 16 bass on it, losing none. I always lose fish on this bait when fishing it with braided line. Today, not a lost fish.

Also landed two Northern Snakeheads....3.1# and 4.0# on a white spinnerbait tied on 10# Silver Thread.

Love to talk with this guy as he always has something new for me to think about and test. A veritable encyclopedia of fishing knowledge.

I didn't mention that I have converted all my spinning reels to his Wave Spin reels. These are some of the finest reels on the market. I respooled three last night and fished all three today. As you all know, when you respool a spinning reel, you inevitably get line jumping off the reel, creating knots that go out through the guides. These reels ABSOLUTELY ELIMINATE this completely. Although you will still get loops of line sticking out of the spool, the line on top of this loop will come off the spool smoothly and take the loop with it. At no time today did I have so much as a single small knot, although I had lots of loops until the line got fully saturated with water.

Check them out at: http://www.wavespinreel.com/

Charlie NHBA.........

#2 Jul-12-09 10:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Co-Polymer versus Monofilament

I have seen these reels and they are pretty cool.

BTW, I consider you and encylopedia so I am glad you are in touch with Doug!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jul-12-09 11:33AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

are co-polymers different than hybrid lines?

#4 Jul-12-09 2:12PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

They are nylon and fluorocarbon. Yo Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft, Maxima Perfexion, Silver Thread Excalibur are among my favorites. The only time I use mono anymore is for backing.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Jul-12-09 2:26PM)

#5 Jul-12-09 7:37PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i use monofilament all the time.
i throw  four pound test, hang it up on the rock pile, pull by hand until it breaks, reel it up, check it for nicks, some time cut off a few feet, sometimes not.

if i lost 50 percent each time i broke it off, it would become worthless quickly.

it doesnt. unless it nicks it is fine,.

i do believe the knots fatigue, and re tie accordingly, sometimes.

i might lose a good fish, sometimes i dont.

trilene xt will hold a ton,

i do believe the knots stress, but i dont buy the rest of the theory.

the other line is better, but the casual fisheman is fine w/ a quality monofilament

#6 Jul-12-09 8:18PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Copoly is also nice because it has a lot less memory than mono. I think it's just much easier to use and considering it's the same price, I always choose it instead of mono.

Last edited by Dominion Dan (Jul-12-09 8:22PM)

#7 Jul-13-09 4:31AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i assumed the copoly was more expensive

my mouth runneth over

i may try a spool of the copoly

#8 Jul-13-09 7:51AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

I fished a club tournament on the Potomac this weekend and changed the reel on my froggin' rod from 20# braid to a Wave Spin with 12# Silver Thread. I probably caught 50-60 fish, including 2 large Northern Snakeheads, in the dense grass beds on Zoom Horny toads and Trick Worms. Did not have a break off nor any problems with the line. I Did manage to lose three fish because I did not set the drag when I replaced the reel. When the light bulb finally came on, I reset the drag and had no more problems.

Charlie NHBA.........

#9 Jul-13-09 11:51AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

How's the silver thread on baitcasters? You've convinced me to try it. I hate the braid on my baitcaster and plan on replacing it soon. I'm thinkin 14# silver thread

#10 Jul-13-09 1:28PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

I have been using Silver Thread 12-17# line for years. Have never had a problem with it. It is very smooth, exceptionally strong, limp, small diameter and good abrasion resistance. This past weekend was the first time I had tried using it in heavy, matted grass beds. It worked beautifully there as well.

Charlie NHBA.........

#11 Jul-13-09 8:19PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Charlie, are you using the regular silver thread or the excalibur version? I think I liked the excalibur a little bit better for baitcasting when I tried them side by side but I can't quite recall exactly.

#12 Jul-14-09 5:33AM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

Dan:

I am using the Super Silver Thread on my baitcasting reels and regular Silver Thread on the spinning reels.

Charlie NHBA.........

#13 Dec-12-09 4:37PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm working on a Christmas wish list right now while browsing the Bass Pro Shops website.
I'm currently using Berkeley Trilene XL on my spincast and spinning rods.  I've haven't used many different lines, but this gets the job done, same for the Stren that was replaced by it.

I was checking out the Fireline since I've never used it and thought about giving it a try.  The reviews are quite mixed for good and bad, though that may because the reviews are a mix of standard Fireline and Fireline braid.  Anybody with some experience with it? 

I'd like something that my spincast won't mangle after a few times fishing.  The XL worked alright at first but now it doesn't come off the spool as well.

#14 Dec-12-09 6:10PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

T.

Try soaking your reel spool in warm water for about 15 minutes before going fishing. It does not have to be the same day. Soak it the night before. The warm water will relax the "set" and when it dries it will "reset" to the spool. You will find that it will work better for a couple of trips, then you will have to do it again..........or check out Doug Hannon's Wave Spin reel. This reel is almost 100% guaranteed to work great on any type of line anytime. No twist knots going through the guides. Just smooth casts.

Charlie NHBA.........

#15 Dec-12-09 6:17PM

Charlie NHBA
Northern Snakehead
Website

T.

Forgot to mention.  If you would like to try braid, do yourself a favor and use Power Pro. It is available almost anywhere and is probably the best on the market for ease of use.

Charlie NHBA.........

#16 Dec-14-09 4:44AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't like fireline... O_o I tried the older crystal version and at first it was alright but then my knots started snapping and and I never bought that it was "nearly invisible" I thought it cast pretty well but what's the point if you can't land the fish and lose a lure. just my 2 cents.

I agree with Charlie on powerpro. strens braid is also great but, i believe, its a little bit more pricey.

I also love using line and lure conditioner (KVD spray you see at Dicks, as well as other places) I feel like it "relaxes" the line as well.

#17 Dec-18-09 3:21PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the tip Charlie, that's seems to have done the trick.

Board footer