Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun-29-09 3:55AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

ashburn, or The White Whale

so last friday i went to beaverdam to see if plan b's infamous vessel, "The Pequod" was still floundering in the brush.

I found said article in the identical position last reported in late march, with the exception that some good samaritan had relieved it of it most precious asset: Ye Olde Casting Platform W/ Chair

I elected to extract the orphaned hull, and was soon paddling my way to the "Boat Launch" slash obstacle course-garbage dump.

using a big stick as a paddle is functional but less than efficient

she leaks, smelled like mouse pee for three days (and i mean smellled !)

I went to dicks, got the cheapest minn kota they had.
I bought a real paddle

i made an anchor w/ old plastic bottle and road gravel

so my dream of fishing ashburn by boat had arrived

the first outing was a keystone cops comedy of errors
somehow in the confusion, a nice 2.8 bass took my P&J

I got a few others, but nothing special

Day 2 had a much steadier hand on the till, and resulted in another respectable bass, who hit the PJ while i was snapping off some grass. there were others, but nothing special

Day three was about the same as well

if anybody thinks me taking that boat was wrong let me know, i will put it back

seemed to me like it was doing nothing, and i thought i would put it to use

#2 Jun-29-09 9:35AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: ashburn, or The White Whale

Yet another request for Jeffie to post a photo....recurring theme! lollollol

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Jun-29-09 10:04AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

wait, so what is the story with this boat?

#4 Jun-29-09 11:31AM

Ernie
Administrator

That picture is all wrong!! Jeff wears a Cubs hat and is slightly larger in frame than the fellow depicted.

That boat has probably sat dorman (mouse pee smell) for months since plan b left for Colorado! We should check in with purpleworm who might have some claim to it.

However, if anyone needs a vessel to fish BDR, I always have my canoe and the extra yak for your use. No rental fees so no liability. All you have to do is ask and come and borrow it.  All I ask is that you put it back where it was after use.

The only stipulation is that you have to take pictures of your catch! It's a fact that we (all the members) like to see the pictures......

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jun-29-09 7:59PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Ah yes, glad to hear that the legendary B-Dam Tin Can has been put to sea once again. I have no dibs so please feel free to use/take as you wish. A word of caution though for running the trolling motor, the game wardens have ticketed us before for using it without numbers. Be especially weary on weekends within sight of the church dock. A life jacket, throwable cushion and hand-pump bilge wouldn't be a bad idea either. I wish you luck and encourage you to keep your best successes there somewhat DL, a couple reports of 5lbers will get people flocking in a hurry. A bit of ambiguity in the title of any post you make(as you've done here) should suffice to keep the crowds away.

#6 Jun-29-09 8:03PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

...and LOL Andy, that's gotta be just about the sleekest watercraft I've ever laid eyes on smile

#7 Jun-30-09 2:10AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

purpleworm wrote:

Ah yes, glad to hear that the legendary B-Dam Tin Can has been put to sea once again. I have no dibs so please feel free to use/take as you wish. A word of caution though for running the trolling motor, the game wardens have ticketed us before for using it without numbers. Be especially weary on weekends within sight of the church dock. A life jacket, throwable cushion and hand-pump bilge wouldn't be a bad idea either. I wish you luck and encourage you to keep your best successes there somewhat DL, a couple reports of 5lbers will get people flocking in a hurry. A bit of ambiguity in the title of any post you make(as you've done here) should suffice to keep the crowds away.

how much is the ticket for no registration?

i have had the pleasure of meeting mr lemmert before, who is a reasonable  man.

i am sure he will tear off a summons if he sees me.

and yes, he is a weekend kind of guy

#8 Jun-30-09 4:06AM

Ernie
Administrator

bigjeffie wrote:

Quite the difference from T.A.

Time to go fishin' again!

#9 Jun-30-09 6:28AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

bigjeffie wrote:

purpleworm wrote:

how much is the ticket for no registration?

i am sure he will tear off a summons if he sees me.

and yes, he is a weekend kind of guy

He's nice, but I had to get a registration for my boat by his orders for using the trolling motor.  It was $36 for 3 years.

#10 Jun-30-09 9:57AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Brian ended up paying it, I think it was like $60. We did have our life jackets and throwable so he couldn't get us for that. Is the guy you're talking about older with glasses and carries his citation sheets around in an old leather case? He was kind of a jerk when he dealt with us. We explained our situation about finding the boat abandoned, fixing it up and our difficulties with getting it registered, but he did not want to hear it. He told us if we weren't able to register the boat then we shouldn't be using a trolling motor on it. He also wrote me a citation for not having my fishing license on me. He told me I could send him a copy of it and he would tear up the citation. Of course, like an idiot, I ended up forgetting and had to take off work to drive to Leesburg on the court date and pay the fine. I got checked out there one time by another(much nicer) warden without my license, and he just made a quick phone call to Richmond to verify me via SS#. Too bad that Grumpy Old Guy couldn't do the same thing. And of course after peeling us off a handful of citations, he gets in his truck and leaves without checking anyone else. Nevermind the 2 dozen other people out there fishing off the banks, many of whom were unlicensed and keeping fish. Anyway, moral of the story is just don't run the troller around the church, especially on weekends. Just throw it in the boat and paddle upstream until your out of sight. The water's up high this year and the trails are all muddy, so those game wardens probably won't walk far(esp the old ones with bad knee cartilage smile ) Good luck dude.

#11 Jun-30-09 1:25PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Why don't you just register the boat? It would be much cheaper than getting citations.

#12 Jun-30-09 3:54PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

oh i gotcha. I didn't know it didn't have a bill of sale or title. I had a similar situation for an old jon boat my grandfather was given and then gave me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what I needed to get it registered and a call to the VDGIF didn't really help either...

#13 Jun-30-09 4:44PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

You can get it registered, it's just going to be a PITA.  If you don't have a title, and the previous owner is not available, than that is the worst situation (sorry). You have to prove you tried to contact the previous owner by registered mail, and recieved no response, and sign an affidavit to that effect. 
  If you are in contact with the prior owner (PlanB?), have him write and sign a letter saying: he sold you the boat for ~$100 (or whatever); that he no longer has any ownership interest in the vessel; and that the vessel was never titled or registered in VA because it was unpowered.  Have him date and sign it with his address and phone number.  The tax on this sale price will be minimal.  If you can get the previous owner to do this, call the VDGIF and ask them to send you the proper affidavit form: w/ the above letter the previous owner does not have to sign the affidavit, nor does it have to be notarized. I just did this w/ a scanoe we bought that was not titled, to which I wanted to add a TM.  I did have the previous owner's contact information, and he was very cooperative w/ the letter.  You will also have to take photographs of the vessel and send them along w/ the application. 
   I have to say VDGIF was helpful in this instance, and the turn around time was only two weeks.  Title, registration (three years), and tax was ~ $45.  If you have any questions, contact me.

#14 Jun-30-09 4:54PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

this one really grew legs

i saw lemmert once

he wrote me for no license

i had no ID

he took info, and said mail the license to him and he would wave the ticket

I did, he did

so he will hit you for the preservers etc too, huh??

what a pain

that boat doesnt even have a serial # that i can find

#15 Jun-30-09 8:04PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i thought it was b's outright and he left it

maybe i should just take it back and get another

it will probably just lay there like it has been, but i dont want any bad karma

Board footer