Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-27-09 6:52AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pohick Bay 5/23

Hung up Paul and I decided to try out Pohick Bay in Paul's Jon boat. We met up at 5:30AM and ran into some complications (stupid road signs) and got onto the water around 7. The water traffic was picking up and it was getting crowded fast. By the time we were on the water there were atleast a dozen other boats out there already fishing.

Paul started it off with a nice sized yellow perch on a senko!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/IMAGE_114-1.jpg

Sorry for the funky pix, we both forgot our cameras!

Paul continued to kick my butt throughout the day with a few more fish including this nice one
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/IMAGE_115.jpg which I think hit a spinnerbait but I'm not sure.

I finally caught one off of spinner bait throwing it between two trees. It wasn't big enough for pictures but it sure felt good to put a fish in the boat!

My buddy Jeremy met up with us later with his kayak and he was able to quickly put fish in the yak. no word on any pictures from him.

A few fish later, I finally caught a keeper
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/IMAGE_117.jpg

Paul followed up with a nice senko bass that got hung up on a stump (hung up paul got hung up, figures)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/IMAGE_120.jpg

turned out to be the biggest fish of the day.

We noticed a lot of nets and traps in the bay and actually had to help a trapped carp get loose of a net. We then rolled up on a trap with crazy action inside and found...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/IMAGE_121.jpg

....that I had horrible picture taking skills and this HUGE gar inside. That sucker was a good 3 ft long. There was a second gar in there that was about 1.5-2 ft long and a massive carp that topped them both. We must have spooked the carp enough to get out of the trap but the gar weren't so lucky.

We ended the day with a few more fish but nothing of size. It was a great day to be on the water and we felt me faired pretty well for it being our first time on this body of water.

#2 May-27-09 8:00AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: Pohick Bay 5/23

Thanx for the report and pics Andrew.  We've snagged some of those traps just casting from the shore at Pohick!  There is an old duck blind not too far offshore, west of the park, that usually holds fish (and traps).

#3 May-27-09 8:03AM

HungUpPaul

Thanks for posting Andrew.  This was actually my first opportunity to run my gas motor.  I've only had it out on electric only lakes so far.  Anyway, I'll clean out the carb, change the spark plug and hopefully get it running better next time out.  It was a fun morning and we were out of the water by noon.  Not a bad outing.  Never fished fresh water where you have to keep track of the tides.  I think we almost got stranded in the mud, lol.  No wonder there weren't any other boats out where we were.

#4 May-27-09 8:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

HungUpPaul wrote:

Not a bad outing.  Never fished fresh water where you have to keep track of the tides.  I think we almost got stranded in the mud, lol.  No wonder there weren't any other boats out where we were.

A couple of years ago, the tide was screaming (out) at Kent Narrows and my 19' CC got stuck....we were in trouble but we jumped out and had just enough water underneath to push it off. If we have waited a few more minutes, we would have been there for a while. Look out for days when the wind is pushing the tide out!

Thanks for the report!

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 May-27-09 8:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

BTW, I hate those hoop nets....or any nets for that matter.....Capt. Mike knows a lot about them.

#6 May-27-09 9:16AM

HungUpPaul

Who puts those nets out and for what reason?  Anyone know?

#7 May-27-09 9:53AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Nice fish guys! Love the hat Paul, I'm a Bills fan too. Here's me rockin the Marshawn jersey at a local pond...Buffalo represent!! smile

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/billsjersey.jpg

#8 May-27-09 11:33AM

HungUpPaul

Awesome!  Where do you watch the games?  I go to NOVA Bills Backer bar Jimmy's Tavern in Herndon.  Should see if there's any ponds around Herndon to hit at halftime.
Sorry to get off topic...

#9 May-27-09 2:07PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Ha, I used to go up to Jimmy's all the time when I lived in Chantilly. We've had NFL sunday ticket the past couple years, but occasionally I'll catch a game across the street at Grevey's in Falls Church. They're a big Bills bar over there with really good wings too. Not too much in the way of pond fishing in Herndon that I know of, but there are some good spots nearby in Reston and Tilly. So have you gotten your T.O. jersey yet? I'm a bit hesitant about buying mine, LOL smile

Last edited by purpleworm (May-27-09 2:09PM)

#10 May-28-09 7:24AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Those hoop nets are there for catfish. The catfish swim in to the head of the net and stay to feed on the bait at the closed end of the net. They come along and lift the open and haul all the live catfish into a live box and various fish baskets depending on size and species of catfish.

The live ones are kept to be moved to farm pond where after 30 days they become farm raised and net a higher profit. They get about 500lbs per haul. Oddly there is no limit to how much they catch .

Or the number of nets.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#11 May-28-09 7:29AM

Ernie
Administrator

captmikestarrett wrote:

The live ones are kept to be moved to farm pond where after 30 days they become farm raised and net a higher profit.

Incredible!

#12 May-28-09 11:06AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

That's very interesting! One of them had a bouy that said "VA Tech"

#13 May-28-09 5:44PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

AndrewDo124 wrote:

That's very interesting! One of them had a bouy that said "VA Tech"

OK That may be a sampling net. May be looking for snakeheads. I noticed the mesh was white. Grinder's nets are black.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer