Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-26-09 11:28AM

Devildog

a new guy question

Hey guys I just moved in the area and had joined the forum a few weeks ago but hadnt had a chance to get online or fishing too much.  My question is in regards to crappie.  I had read that crappies are the bad guys and should be removed from the lakes but im not clear which lakes I can find them or whether its all of them. Also being im from NYC and have almost exclusively gone saltwater fishing im not sure what to use to catch them... any info would help. Ive caught bluegill and LMB but never came across a crappie.

#2 May-26-09 11:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: a new guy question

Welcome aboard!!

Crappie are found mostly in the ABC lakes (Alder, Beech and Cedar). Pavilion has them too.

There are several ways to fish for them. The simplest is to use a 1/16 oz jig with a 1" plastic curly tail under a bobber. You will need to vary the length of the distance between the bobber and jig depending on where you are fishing. Crappie relate to structure and they school up. Catching them from shore is not easy but it can be done. If you catch one, others will be around.

I am sure some of the other guys will weigh in.

BTW, they are very good to eat!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-26-09 12:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Here is a link to an article that Khahn posted for catching panfish!

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/ar … 6_Panfish/

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jun-04-09 8:06PM

gatorchomp93

You should fish Ashburn lake, right beside the overflow their are tons! Almost every cast you get a fish whether it's a crappie or a blue gil. On some occassions you'll catch a big bass on a fly.

Board footer