Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-13-09 7:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

No fishing signs!!

I just received the email below from the presidend of the AVHOA. My response to him was that we will never know if the signs will be effective unless we try to post them on one of the problem lakes as a minimum. For now, we just have to put up with the poachers. There is NOTHING we can do at this point.....

--------------------------------------------

Good evening Lakes and Ponds Committee members.  It has come to my attention that there is a request to place "No Fishing" signs along the ABC, Pavilion and Ashburn Lake shores.  Based on the little information that I have regarding this request I must ask what this endeavor will produce?  It is my understanding that the purpose is to deal with non-Village homeowners fishing on the lakes and taking the fish.  In my humble opinion and the opinion of several BOD members, this is not a tremendously large issue.  Even if the signs were placed around the shoreline, this would do nothing to deter the fishing community at large and would not give them a moment of pause in taking the fish either.  Additionally, the only way to enforce such signage would be to police the shorelines, either with Staff or hired security and ask for proper ID.  The BOD is not going to engage in this type of effort to save a few fish and believe our homeowner assessments are better spent maintaining the water quality.

Sincerely,

Doug Carlson

Mark D. Carlson
avcadoug@verizon.net

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-13-09 8:12PM

skvan

Re: No fishing signs!!

how sad that the president of the AVHOA does not see poaching and the type of person that engages in such acts is a problem for Ashburn Village not just the lakes and ponds.

Seems he does not realize that it is not just the fish that the HOA have paid for that are being removed, but that they leave trash behind that not only looks unsightly but the HOA pays to clean up but who knows what other targets of opportunity for other criminal acts they may find while out poaching.

Hope the signs were not really going to just say 'no fishing' even though I know fishing is allowed I would find that rather off putting.. guess the answer though does not matter seeing how they are not going to be posted.

thanks for the update Ernie. Seems almost pointless in view of the above humble opinion any of us giving a damn either as nothing is going to be done sad

Skvan

#3 May-14-09 5:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

Of course, Curly and I will keep pounding the point to the BOD. My cha;llenge to them was simple....

"How can you make this assessment without trying it 1st? Is it a cost issue or an effectiveness issue? I recommend that  we at least try this in one of the problem lakes to test its effectiveness. If we don't we will never know if you are right or wrong."

Now, we will wait and see what the respose is.

#4 May-14-09 6:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

skvan wrote:

thanks for the update Ernie. Seems almost pointless in view of the above humble opinion any of us giving a damn either as nothing is going to be done sad

Since I live on Cedar and only fish an area of a hundred yards or so, I willl keep an eye on this lake. I don't mind walking up to someone and letting them know the rules and regs. For the most part, the folks that I see fishing are mindful of their surroundings, whether they are a resident or now (how would I know?). When I see kids, I try to help them and teach them about fishing and taking care of the pond area.

So....I won't give up and simply hope that the poachers start getting skunked a lot so they move on!

#5 May-14-09 7:10AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

It seems like accessibility is the key. Ashburn, Pavilion, and Alder all sit right off of the major AV artery. There seems to be less of an impact on Beech, Cedar, Tipp, and Heron. To some extent that minimizes the required coverage areas. Perhaps that would be easier to monitor.

I am not convinced that "No Fishing" signs are the answer either. I take signage literally and if there are such signs posted, then residents should abide by them as well.

Can we get creative? We could get volunteer patrols. We could set up a guest fishing program that requires a fee. Set a booth by those three lakes. You can then use the funds to pay for the attendants. These may be unrealistic ideas, but something to stimulate the thought process.

From a sympathetic angle, it is probably cheaper to take fish from the ponds than to buy them. This is a tough time. I don't recall this being a problem when times were better. Personally, this still doesn't make it okay, but just another perspective.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#6 May-14-09 7:12AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Another idea - is there a "violators will be prosecuted" note on the current signs?

BTW - The Sheriff is designed "to protect and to serve". Get them to check the high volume times every once in a while and we may see some noticeable differences. That is a service they should provide. There has to be at least 1-2 sheriffs that reside in AVCA.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#7 May-14-09 8:08AM

skvan

Would it help if we were to email Doug Carlson directly regarding the poaching problem and to further email him everytime we see people with loaded buckets fishing our lakes and ponds ? Or would doing this hinder the hard work those of you on the lakes and pond commitee have done and continue to do on behalf of us all ? Was just thinking that maybe if he got enough emails / letters regarding the matter he would take notice.

Skvan

#8 May-14-09 9:32AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

skvan wrote:

Would it help if we were to email Doug Carlson directly regarding the poaching problem and to further email him everytime we see people with loaded buckets fishing our lakes and ponds ? Or would doing this hinder the hard work those of you on the lakes and pond commitee have done and continue to do on behalf of us all ? Was just thinking that maybe if he got enough emails / letters regarding the matter he would take notice.

No, not at this time.  I am approaching this from a resident safety issue.  There are several emails to the BOD that will not be posted here.  I have run into several seedy characters over the past 3 weeks......four of them were definately MS-13 members.  About 2 months ago, gang members killed one and almost killed another Lansdowne resident on one of their walking trails.  It was a crime of opportunity.  The BOD will not consider enforcing fishing regs at all..........period.  They may consider resident safety?

If you are going to send an email, mention nothing about fish being removed.  If you see what you perceive to be non-residents that concurn you about your family's safety..........that would be good.

I can post all the email addresses for the appropiate Association staff, if everyone promises not to complain about fish being removed, and rather address the safety issue.

I decided to share this story after all of the talk:

I was fishing my bluegill spot on Beech about a week ago..  My brother joined me as he was fishing with the family (everyone separates out on the different lakes, which includes both of my younger brother.)  I was planning on leaving to head out in 15 min, but they were staying.  In those 15 min three shady characters were fishing by our sides.  When I left I took my brother to a different pond, because these people were NOT the kind of people I would want him to be fishing by.  The chance of someone actually hurting someone is very low, but I have to take precautions.

I know I have seen many kids fishing the lakes by themselves, which may be a good point to throw in there when dealing with the BOD, maybe it could help our side a bit.

Thanks for all you do!

#9 May-14-09 9:59AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly and Ernie, I hope they heed your emails. You both seem to have made very strong arguments, especially when you put in the cost/benefit stuff Curly.

Like Patrick said, I think you should try to pressure the Sheriff to swing by during high traffic times. Aren't sheriffs elected? Doesn't he have a responsibility to his constituents?

Curly, I'd be interested to know how you can identify gang members.

#10 May-14-09 10:34AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Curly wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

Curly and Ernie, I hope they heed your emails. You both seem to have made very strong arguments, especially when you put in the cost/benefit stuff Curly.

Like Patrick said, I think you should try to pressure the Sheriff to swing by during high traffic times. Aren't sheriffs elected? Doesn't he have a responsibility to his constituents?

Curly, I'd be interested to know how you can identify gang members.

1) Sheriff's Office can not enforce trespassing on our lake properties.  Not an issue of them not wanting to.....they have no authority, unless from the specific landowner's "on-time" complaint.  In this case the landowner is the BOD.  The BOD will not be walking the lakes looking for non-residents.  A security guard employed by the Association could do it.

2) Tatoos, gang hand signs, whistles made, attitude towards authority (and my 28 years of law enforcement experiance smile ).

1) oh, i gotcha. I guess I didn't really know the legal issues with community stuff like that.

2) thanks. I knew you were in law enforcement and would know some ways to identify gang members--that's the reason why I asked. I've been suspicious of people and behaviors that I've seen before but I never knew how to know for sure.

#11 May-14-09 12:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

However.............we will continue to persist!

#12 Jun-24-10 12:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

Cedar....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1204-1.jpg

Alder....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1205-1.jpg

Board footer