Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-09-09 1:40PM

Ernie
Administrator

5-9-09, Beaverdam Reservoir report

Mike (purpleworm) and I met up at my house at 11:20 and by 11:45 we were on the water at BD on our kayaks. He was going to be the guide and I provided the boats! We saw a couple of fellas taking out and they had a slow morning, catching only one 16 incher. It didn't matter to us, we were going fishing until 3:30 PM unless the rains stop us. So on the water we went!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2631.jpg

Here is Mike getting adjsuted to the the kayak.....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2632.jpg

We decided to head south as there was a current and we wanted to drift it back. We got to the western shore and Mike hooked up on a shortie but he was too far for me to get an image. He pointed towards a nice cove and I worked it and landed two nice fish. This one on a very OLD Fat Rap!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2633.jpg

And this one on  a fluke/circle hook rig.....learned it from Paul Naj!!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2636.jpg

Mike and I got split up when I then heard "this is a good one". I yelled over to him and he was on a fight so I started paddling as fast as i could so I could get a good shot! The fish took Mike under the boat and when Mike tried to grab it, it spit the hook! Man....he was devestated. i felt bad for him.

We continued to fish and I landed a decent fish ....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2639.jpg

.....but he was sick!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMG_2637.jpg

The winds picked up and the fishing shut down after that.

I the last 30 minutes, Mike went to his honey whole (no, I will NOT reveal) and he landed a couple of nice fish (he can fill in the details) just as time ran out.

This was an enjoyable day to say the least!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-09-09 4:33PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 5-9-09, Beaverdam Reservoir report

Ernie, is that a Case Sinkin' Salty Shad?

Last edited by Dominion Dan (May-09-09 4:33PM)

#3 May-09-09 4:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

Dominion Dan wrote:

Yep....

#4 May-09-09 6:17PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

Yep....

I got one of those free last year in an order of worms from Case.  It worked so well I ordered three packs.

#5 May-09-09 8:21PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Very nice day on the Res today. Thanks again to Ernie for inviting me out with the kayaks. Had a good one come unbuttoned on the crankbait right on the side of the kayak, prob 3-4lbs. That fish totally worked me-pulled me into the rocks and running under the yak, wrapping the line around my paddle, etc. Finally got it together and pulled her in, and of course the bait flew right out of her mouth before I could get my hands on her. Caught a few more shorties on the worm, too. Most of the bites we got came as soon as the bait hit the water. If I could go back there again tomorrow I would probably throw a topwater all day. Floating on a kayak is the way to go, I will definitely be buying one of my own here soon. If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate hearing from you-thanks.

#6 May-09-09 8:54PM

Ernie
Administrator

#7 May-09-09 9:29PM

plan b

good job fellas... the res is looking good from the pics and i'm sure the fishing is only going to get better over the next few weeks...  mike should have known to just throw my magic lure once he realized the fish were hitting near the surface but he decided it would be better to not catch all the fish in one day smile

mike...those hobie's look like a lot of fun... the foot pedals would make it worth the extra money

i myself fished my first bass club tourney today and finished 6th out of 18 anglers... i also managed to get a treble stuck in my hand and had to pop it through to clip the barb off which i hope no one ever has to experience... it was like a rite of passage ritual of some ancient barbarian tribe...lol

you guys should organize a bdam tourney so that i can have another excuse to come back and fish smile

tight lines

#8 May-10-09 4:37AM

Ernie
Administrator

plan b wrote:

i also managed to get a treble stuck in my hand and had to pop it through to clip the barb off which i hope no one ever has to experience... it was like a rite of passage ritual of some ancient barbarian tribe...lol

Takes your breath away.....and then some!

plan b wrote:

you guys should organize a bdam tourney so that i can have another excuse to come back and fish smile

We can do this.....just say when

#9 May-10-09 6:37AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Good read:http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557

Andrew will recommend this: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ … 00725.html

Actually, not that particular model. It's a bit slow. Simon just sold his and bought a revolution model, but I do love my Hobie. I wouldn't mind having a prowler like Ernie though!

#10 May-10-09 8:27AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

mudkart wrote:

Pacemaker wrote:

Dominion Dan wrote:

Yep....

I got one of those free last year in an order of worms from Case.  It worked so well I ordered three packs.

They are awesome jerkbaits.

#11 May-10-09 8:37AM

Ernie
Administrator

Mike- Andrew's Hobie crew are quite knowledgeable on the yaks. For BDR, the Hobie's would be great....I may need to get one.

#12 May-10-09 11:13AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

The Hobies are way cool for the efficient propulsion. Of course I'm a big fan of the Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. The stability of this yak allows me to stand while fishing and that's a huge advantage when they're up against the shoreline or fishing visible structure. I carry 5 rods, 1 full tackle bag and one small plastics bag, a utility bag in the back, and have it rigged with fishfinder and anchor trolley system.

Great job on the res Mike and Ernie.

Last edited by Paul Naj (May-10-09 11:13AM)

#13 May-10-09 1:29PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice job as the reservoir!   Matt and I cannot wait for the beaverdam derby.  Four or five days after the full moon is supposed to be the best fishing and the full moon was this weekend so we should have some good fishing!

#14 May-10-09 9:43PM

SimonSays

Heya, I just bought a Hobie revolution, I love the thing, much much faster than my old sport.  Standing and casting isn't much of a problem, it's got tons of storage space, enough room for rod holders, fish finders, crate for tackle box storage and of course an anchor system.  I'll get a pic up asap when I rigged the thing out.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2pq7rrb.jpg

#15 May-11-09 5:20AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

please excuse the mess in my yak, I wasn't ready to go fishing and kind of just threw everything in it.

#16 May-11-09 5:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

Andrew- do you have a fishfinder on yours?

#17 May-11-09 5:51AM

SimonSays

Andrew has a portable one that sticks to the side of his yak, no need to drill holes anywhere!

#18 May-11-09 5:52AM

Ernie
Administrator

SimonSays wrote:

Andrew has a portable one that sticks to the side of his yak, no need to drill holes anywhere!

I need to see that!! This would be great at BDR!

#19 May-11-09 6:48AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

It's just a piranhamax portable 2XX (forgot exact model number) works great but I wish it had GPS and I could mark points. It so easy to float away from a spot in a yak and not know it.

#20 May-11-09 8:40AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I have the eagle cuda which has a suction cup and is great for bdam.  It was under $100!!!!

Board footer