Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-09-09 5:39AM

skvan

Cedar / Heron Pond 5/9 AM

Skunked out at Cedar, but did not fish there for long, maybe 40 mins. Headed off to my really local pond Heron for the remainder of the time I had available and wow am I glad I did !

8lbs test line, green Uncle Josh Pork Frog and a brown and black jig.

2nd cast out and a hard bite and I knew I had something nice hooked...a minute later with much splashing I landed a really nice 4lb 2oz bass !!  Was a real beauty a really pretty fish, fat and long.

That was not the end of the though... same set up got me 3 cat fish the smallest being just over 2lb and the largest just under 3lb. Found it odd that I should be catching cat fish on this set up seems the cat fish in Heron will bite on just about anything atm.

I switched at that point to a blue frog on a blue and black jig as I wanted bass not cat fish and thought maybe the different color would produce different results. I caught a couple of other reasonable size bass but nothing that I bothered to weigh. Feeling really good about my mornings fishing and nearing the time I had to head home I cast out once more. Something I am not quite sure what , but something fairly large took the frog and headed away from me a a good rate of knots. Slowly I started to reel it in and then letting it run again.
The very sad end to whatever it was that took that frog was that my line broke (I suspect that my line inspections after other catches had missed a nick in the line or something) and whatever it was is now in Heron pong with my pig n jig firmly embeded in its mouth sad

I know hooks and stuff 'rot' away but how long does it take ? Do you think the fish will live ? Whatever it was must have been fairly big to put up the fight it did. I really feel quite upset and concerned for the wealfare of that fish sad

Skvan

#2 May-09-09 8:11PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Cedar / Heron Pond 5/9 AM

good work simon.

i am going to  have hit heron pond, since you are banging so many good ones there.

nice going on the jig n pig as well.

you are fortunate to get bit quickly on that bait. now you have confidence in an all time great technique. it took me years to adopt the method

you may have had a big catfish, bass, or turtle when you got broken off- hard to say.

the fish should be ok... if not you cant help it much.

the hook will work loose, or rust out, or both. time depends on the gauge ( thickness) of the jig hook.

i feel very badly when i injure a fish, so i am with you on the concerns you share. just move on, as you will likely never know for sure...

I keep thinking about going barbless- i used to fish that way for years.
i would rather lose a fish than harm it every time

ALSO: it looks like you have the new record bass for heron pond !!

Last edited by bigjeffie (May-09-09 8:28PM)

#3 May-09-09 8:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

Record noted for the 4lb 2oz bass....nice fish!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 May-10-09 8:28AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

How heavy of a jig are using on 8lb test?

#5 May-10-09 12:30PM

skvan

3/8oz football jigs

Wow did not realise that 4lb 2 was a record for Heron, it was a beutiful fish, very very healthy looking. Hope that is not the one that how has my hook in its mouth hmm

Wish I had taken my camera with me even if it had only been my cell phone but ive been getting WAY too many calls from work at odd times recently so tend to leave it behind as I can not resist answering a phone ever if it starts ringing

Last edited by skvan (May-10-09 12:35PM)

Skvan

Board footer