Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-07-09 8:35AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Royal Lake 5/6/09

Took a lap around Royal yesterday afternoon with the t-rigged purple worm and a 1/4oz lipless. Caught 6 on the worm, all in 0-2lb range. Had a couple nicer ones come unbuttoned by the manhole on the lipless, they would follow it in and then slash at it right next to the shore. Also missed a good one on topwater over a laydown on the big point. Didn't get a look at her, but she sounded like a torpedo in the water, 3lb+ for sure. The sudden downpour around dinnertime made me glad I had raingear in my backpack. Also stopped out at beaverdam for an hour in the morning, didn't catch anything but saw a bunch of dead shad on the shore. Here's a pic of what they look like out there for those who like to match the hatch.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/royal5609.jpg
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu153/mikelup82/bdshad.jpg

#2 May-07-09 10:02AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: Royal Lake 5/6/09

Were you wearing a white shirt?  That was me on the east bank of the main point (across from the manhole point) in a dark green flannel.  I managed one dink and a 1 lber before the heavy rain sent me home.  Both hit a space monkey.  I saw the same thing tossing a lipless crank: small fish would flash at it very close to shore.  Oh yeah, next time you're there, take a walk down the path on that main point to the very end (facing south), turn around and look uphill and try and spot the "homegrown" someone has planted (look for a black circle of potting soil).  Should get plenty of sun.

Last edited by mudkart (May-07-09 10:19AM)

#3 May-07-09 1:24PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Yeah that was me in the white. That's a pretty good spot you were at there, probably my fav on that lake. I'm sure alot of those places are hard to get to once everything starts growing in thick mid-summer. I got my sammy hung in a bush by the boat ramp and spent 1/2 hour bush-wacking my way down to the bank from the trail to get it. Speaking of bush-wacking, that's pretty funny how you spotted someone's naughty garden. Probably won't be there long if you can see it from the trail, alot of those joggers I saw yesterday looked like old hippies smile

Last edited by purpleworm (May-07-09 1:26PM)

#4 May-07-09 2:00PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

You can't see the plant from the main trail, only from the "fishing" trail next to the lake that you saw me on. 

I bring the heavy duty shears w/ me when I go there and try to keep that trail near the lake passable.

The lake is getting more pressure than last year.  I saw five other anglers (one was Andrew Do's friend Mike) in the time I was there.  There was a guy working about five minutes behind you on the same circuit.  I didn't see him catch anything.

Last edited by mudkart (May-07-09 2:02PM)

#5 May-08-09 5:19AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Dang purpleworm, you're fishing all over No. VA! Quite a hike from Ashburn.

Mudkart, I have to show that kid some new spots or something. I think he only knows of Royal as of right now.

#6 May-08-09 5:56AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Mudkart, I have to show that kid some new spots or something. I think he only knows of Royal as of right now.

He said they had caught some eyes at Burke Lake recently.  He did have a Yo-Zuri crank tied on that I liked. 

I checked Royal last night around 7:30, and as is typical after such heavy rains, it was chocolate milk so I didn't bother.  Woodglen was a little better visibility wise, but flooded to the point that you could not access the East bank.  The dam yielded two dinks in an hours fishing, then I called it a night.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/mudkart/fish/2009/DSCN0240-1.jpg

Board footer