Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-19-09 11:34AM

HungUpPaul

4-19-2009 Burke Lake

I took my new to me boat out on it's maiden voyage this morning on Burke Lake.  I've never fished it by boat and was eager to explore.  I coasted the shore and immediately came across some beds.  I caught my first bass when I tossed a 5" white senko smack dab in the center of the first bed about 10 minutes after launch.  This is the first time I have ever sight fished spawn beds before.  Most beds had a female with 2-3 males flitting about.  They appeared to be in the process of mating and I don't even think eggs were laid yet.  It was very interesting to watch them.  After that first  bed I thought I was in for a good day, but only got one more bite on the day.  Unfortunately my weak hook set caused me to lose it.  It was a big one too.  There were some monsters cruising the shallows, but they would not even give my baits a second look.  Maybe after eggs are laid they'll be more protective... or maybe it's just a Burke Lake thing.  Here's a pic of the one I caught:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/3455838119_cef988c901_b.jpg

I'm going to try again next weekend.  I may have a seat available.  It'll be better have someone as a spotter for beds.

Last edited by HungUpPaul (Apr-19-09 11:34AM)

#2 Apr-22-09 6:11AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Re: 4-19-2009 Burke Lake

That's pretty much been our experience at Burke Lake: we've never caught anything on artificials, only using minnows the boys caught w/ a seine.  I'd make note of the bed location and try for some of those monsters at night.  I think the VDGIF ramp is open at night.  When we've fished during the day, there have been so many other anglers that, to paraphrase a friend's observation, "you have to wonder if there is a lure these fish haven't seen."

#3 Apr-22-09 6:23AM

HungUpPaul

I saw a kid catch a dink on a crankbait and heard some yelling across the lake from another boat... I assume they caught something but that's all I saw in the 5 hours I was there.  I'm thinking maybe another lake would be worth a shot this weekend.

#4 Apr-22-09 2:14PM

SimonSays

I had luck swimming a trick worm on a small jig head at burke, I'd let it sink to the bottom, pop the sucker up as hard as I could and started swimming it.

#5 Apr-23-09 11:44AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have caught LGMouth to 7 lbs and a tiger musky too big to roll into my boat.

The biggest fish and best spot was the east side of the island on strawberry worms. There used to be some deep stumps in that cut and they gave up many big LGMouth for me and my fishing buddy.

The flats on the east side of the dam was the tiger musky spot. I think in all the years I fished it I got three of those tigers.

Question's: after the draining 6-9 years ago did they restock tigers?

Did they rebuild the brush piles for crappie?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#6 Apr-23-09 12:27PM

HungUpPaul

You know I was thinking about fishing for Musky in there some time.  What time of year is the best?  I'd imagine when the water is cold right?

#7 Apr-23-09 5:07PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I have caught them during the summer on big spooks. At daybreak and sunset.. never during the day.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

Board footer