Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-22-09 5:48PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

3/22/09 Burke lakes

I fished Woodglen four ~ 3 hrs. this morning w/o a bite.  Tried a small white/chartreuse spinner bait, a swimbait, and a c-rigged baby brush hog along most of the eastern shore.  I moved to L. Royal and continued the skunkness until an Xr50 (blue/chrome) lipless crank got hammered by a big bass.  It came up twice so we got a good look at it.  It came unbuttoned (underwater!) and I nearly cried.  A young (well, young to me) couple were setting up to catfish near me, they witnessed it and couldn't stop talking about it.  I tied on a strike king lipless crank (redeye shad maybe?) and kept at it, and was rewarded with this 4-15 maybe 20 min. later.  By far my biggest fish this year. 

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu181/mudkart/3-22lmb.jpg

#2 Mar-22-09 5:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 3/22/09 Burke lakes

Excellent...way to stick with it.

Those that "get away" will keep you awake at times....also makes you want to come back!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-23-09 4:32AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice report Mike! Looks like it's lipless crank time!

#4 Mar-23-09 4:47AM

Ernie
Administrator

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Looks like it's lipless crank time!

Have you used the Sebille Flatt Shad yet?

#5 Mar-23-09 5:14AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Looks like it's lipless crank time!

Have you used the Sebille Flatt Shad yet?

Not yet, but it sounds like I should! I'll have to pick one up a long with a magic swimmer.

#6 Mar-23-09 5:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

They are not cheap! I won a couple of them as door prizes and really like them. I

#7 Mar-23-09 7:54AM

HungUpPaul

Mike, were you fishing by the manhole cover?  I fished the dam on Sat. afternoon with no luck.

#8 Mar-23-09 12:19PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

HungUpPaul wrote:

Mike, were you fishing by the manhole cover?  I fished the dam on Sat. afternoon with no luck.

Yep.  Fan casting from the tip of the point as far as I could throw it towards the opposite shore/center of the lake.  It was key to get the baits out far enough and let them sink for a good 6-7 count before retrieving.  These lipless cranks cast like rockets w/ a 6'6" - 7' MH rod.

#9 Mar-23-09 12:31PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

They are not cheap! I won a couple of them as door prizes and really like them. I

Thanks for the tip.  TW and Land Big Fish have them (the 54 version) for 9.99, but, I haven't done an exhaustive search.  As a reference, the XR50 and 75's are 6.99 and the strike king in the $5 range, IIRC.  I remember reading some company's lipless crank uses a form of "real" fish skin.  Anybody heard of this?

#10 Mar-24-09 7:01AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Hey while you're on the topic, does anyone know/have any lipless vibrators that don't have rattles? I know excalibur and a few others make oneknocker models, but im looking for something with no rattles at all. I hear luckycraft makes one in the LV300 series, but I'm not too keen on spending 15 bucks for a bait that  will constantly get hung, especially when fishing from shore. I figure a quieter lipless could be something different to throw that might work well with pressured and post-frontal fish. If anybody knows of another company that makes them, lemme know...Thanks

#11 Mar-26-09 3:52PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

purpleworm wrote:

Hey while you're on the topic, does anyone know/have any lipless vibrators that don't have rattles? I know excalibur and a few others make oneknocker models, but im looking for something with no rattles at all. I hear luckycraft makes one in the LV300 series, but I'm not too keen on spending 15 bucks for a bait that  will constantly get hung, especially when fishing from shore. I figure a quieter lipless could be something different to throw that might work well with pressured and post-frontal fish. If anybody knows of another company that makes them, lemme know...Thanks

Here ya go...

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishin … 6472723/11

Looks like your only choice is either the LC, the Sebile, or modify exisiting baits.

#12 Mar-26-09 3:57PM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

mudkart wrote:

purpleworm wrote:

Here ya go...

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishin … 6472723/11

Looks like your only choice is either the LC, the Sebile, or modify exisiting baits.

Also, if your worried about losing expensive lures, using even 15-20 lb braid lets me retrieve alot of hangups.  A cheap plug knocker or lure retriever gets many of the rest.

#13 Mar-26-09 4:11PM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Thanks for the tip Mudkart! I got a bunch of old cc super spots that I never use, so I'm gonna get to work on em with the drill and epoxy and see if I can get those rattles out or at least quiet them down a bit. If I find something that works good, I'll let you know...thanks again smile

Board footer