Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-30-06 5:53PM

Ernie
Administrator

12-27/28-06, Miami FL report

The plan was to be on the water (Miami canals) fishing by 12:30 PM on the 27th but a mechanical problem delayed my flight from Dulles and we didn't get on the water until almost 2 PM!

Carlos Maceo and I went out with Capt. Mark Hall whom I had fished with back in September (and caught my 1st Peacock Bass ever on a fly).  Our plan was the same, to go after Peacocks on fly rods but we would be fishing in 68-70 degree temps which is cold for Miami and cold for these fish!

We worked several spots and Carlos hooked into a nice one that gave him a great fight but he broke off. This would have possibly been Carlos' biggest Peacock but as they say, "the big one got away". We were all disappointed but now we were stoked!

A few minutes later, I get hooked up with a nice one (not as big as the one Carlos had on) and I tried to horse him in to no avail....he broke off my 6 wt! So.....no fish on the boat and the sun wants to start heading south!

Finally, I manage to hook one but he wants a big fight and starts digging down to some structure. Somehow, I manage to keep him off the wood and get him turned around. I finagled the Peacock over to Capt. Mark and he brought in on board this taking the skunk off the boat. The fish weighed close to 3 pounds but they fight even harder than small mouth bass.

I managed to catch another one (the striped variety) although he was only a little over a pound.

It was a great day on the water and we can't wait to go back and do this again!

And I will say it again, if you want to do some cool fishing, go out with Capt. Mark. He is good and he will get you on the fish!

Here is his contact info:

Capt. Mark Hall
http://www.flyfishpeacocks.com/
786-317-4777
mark@flyfishpeacocks.com

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer