Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-05-09 3:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

Shenandoah Riverkeeper Rodeo, September 9-13, 2009

When: Thursday September 10th through Sunday September 13th, 2009
Shenandoah Riverkeeper Party: Saturday September 12th 4-8PM
Where: Bentonville Low Water Bridge Campground (this is where Josh lives)
Why: Show support for the Shenandoah Riverkeeper and the river itself

Who: Jeff Kelble - Shenandoah Riverkeeper - "After a pretty awesome rodeo last year, I'd like to try to do it again."

Support from Riversmallies was overwhelming, we had a total of 250 people come to Saturday's party, there were 11 smallmouth guides, dozens or RS.com members and the public. Bundy was on the monster BBQ, DoahRiverRat (Herschel) did everything my lame *** forgot to do, RichC held together mental logistics and advertising, and Friends of the North Fork volunteers and Potomac Riverkeeper staff did all the rest.

For the Official Record:

There was substantial controversy and argument last year about the purpose of the rodeo and I was saddened by it, but also did not spend the time necessary to have prevented it. There was a lot of room for improvement in how I personally talked about the river and the rodeo. So for the record, The Shenandoah River has major pollution problems, period. They haven't drastically improved since I started working as Riverkeeper. That said we are making some major inroads in several important areas of conservation and there is a lot in the hopper. Our fish are reproducing like crazy and filling the river with small and medium sized fish. We still have fish kills every year but so far the fish are outproducing the loss and that in and of itself is worth celebrating. I want people to continue to have this river in their hearts, but have no wish to declare the river "back". Please come show that this river means something to you and that it is worth protecting - that is all I ask.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer