Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-07-09 12:02PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Upcoming Events

These are all of the events that we have solid dates on so that you can plan to attend:

* For B.A.S.S. Federation Nation Members Only

Feb. 5- John Odenkirk, Rm. 115, 4pm.
Feb. 19- Charlie Taylor, Rm. 115, 4pm.
Mar. 5- Charlie Taylor, Rm. 115, 4pm.
*Mar. 7 and 8- OCHS Sportman's Show (great deals for youth on fishing gear and booth running)
Mar. 19- Jon Drever (Ken Penrod Guide), UP smallmouth techniques and will speak specifically to the Goose Creek to Algonkian stretch of river,    Rm 115, 4pm.
Mar. 21-22-  WV Trout Fishing with Josh Turner
Apr. 2- Bob Forbes, Shad Fishing, Rm. 115, 4pm.
*Apr. 5 and 6- Mr. Bass- Lake Gaston (help out with adult tournament)
April 18- Striper Charter, Cobb Island, w/ Capt Jeff
*Apr. 25 and 26- BASS Elite Series-SML (Help out with pro tournament and then go to hotel and get autographs and advice from the pros)
*May 2 and 3- Aquia Creek- Junior State Qualifier for Northern Division (tournament)
May 9- BRHS Fishing Tournament, Ashburn Village Lakes
May 7- unknown, Rm. 115, 4pm.
*May 16 and 17- BASS FNV 6 man- Kerr Lake (help out with adult tournament)
Jun. 4- elections, Rm. 115.
*Jun. 6 and 7- Lake Anna- Junior State Qualifier for Northern Division (tournament)
*Aug. 1 and 2- Leesville Lake- Junior State Tournament (If you placed 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in either JSQ then you compete)

Future Events in the Planning:

Shad Fishing- Fletcher's Boat House

Snakehead Fishing
Kephart Landing
Lake Anna
*Tournaments
Potomac river- Algonkian
Beaverdam Reservoir

This will be updated when we add new dates.

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Jan-28-09 4:26PM)

#2 Jan-07-09 12:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Upcoming Events

Charlie- Let's see if we can talk Carl Johnson (Carl on this forum) to speak about Fletcher's. He has been fishing those waters for over 50 years!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-07-09 7:48PM

rebellionnum54

for the lake anna tornament we can go a day b4 and spend the night at my waterfront property so we can get up early

#4 Jan-08-09 7:45AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

let me know whats up with the trout Charlie.  There's plenty of streams down this way and I could host small groups on a saturday or sunday for a day of fishing.  Depending on what each group wanted to do, there's put and take, delayed harvest and wild trout streams within close range.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#5 Jan-08-09 7:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

L1Ranger wrote:

let me know whats up with the trout Charlie.  There's plenty of streams down this way and I could host small groups on a saturday or sunday for a day of fishing.  Depending on what each group wanted to do, there's put and take, delayed harvest and wild trout streams within close range.

This is a great offer....I would be willing to help and wet a line too!

#6 Jan-08-09 9:26AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

L1Ranger wrote:

Thanks!  That coudl be really cool.  What time of year would you suggest this?  You in front royal?

#7 Jan-08-09 11:34AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

I'm about 10 miles south of front royal.

anytime from now until the water gets low is a great time for trout as they don't mind the cold water so much.  Pretty much all spring
of course, nobody wants to go freezing there butts off (though I don't mind).
if you can get a group or two together and set a tentative date we can go from there.  if the weather doesn't cooperate, we can reschedule.  wind and rain will ruin a trip.

if anybody is interested in fly fishing and has the equipment, we could do a special trip for that as well.  its my preferred method for trout.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#8 Jan-08-09 12:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

I can supply a few fly rods.....

#9 Jan-08-09 12:29PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

that would be great ernie - I've only got one that would be suitable for trout.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#10 Jan-08-09 12:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

I have a 3 wt, 2- 4wts and a 5wt. I can also bring the 6wts but that might be overkill. I also have a cool bamboo rod that I might want to try. It's about a 5 wt.

#11 Jan-08-09 1:04PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

A guy at the bar at Ruby's was trying to get me to start fly fishing.  He said that there is a really cheap rod that is great for learning at walmart for $30

#12 Jan-08-09 1:08PM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

A guy at the bar at Ruby's was trying to get me to start fly fishing.  He said that there is a really cheap rod that is great for learning at walmart for $30

Don't get it....bad habits!

#13 Jan-08-09 3:04PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Don't get it....bad habits!

But with it I can get the hang of fly-fishing.  If the rod gets stuck on something and breaks because of a beginner mistake, then i will not be out a couple hundred dollars.

#14 Jan-08-09 3:14PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

don't listen to guys at bars and don't flyfish with walmart rods.

borrow a rod and try it out, see if its for you.  I've got a 6 and 8 wt for sale if you decide you want to get into it.

we were all beginners somewhere along the lines, and I've never broken a fly rod, not getting hung or otherwise.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#15 Jan-08-09 3:36PM

Ernie
Administrator

redskinsfan360 wrote:

If the rod gets stuck on something and breaks because of a beginner mistake, then I will not be out a couple hundred dollars.

You don't need to spend a couple of hundred $$s! But a $30 WM rod will do nothing for you.

#16 Jan-08-09 4:14PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

L1Ranger wrote:

don't listen to guys at bars and don't flyfish with walmart rods.

borrow a rod and try it out, see if its for you.  I've got a 6 and 8 wt for sale if you decide you want to get into it.

we were all beginners somewhere along the lines, and I've never broken a fly rod, not getting hung or otherwise.

I listen to this guy, because I have been fishing with him before and he knows what he is talking about.  But maybe I will try your route instead. . . Who knows?

#17 Jan-08-09 4:45PM

Ernie
Administrator

My 1st fly rod was a cheap, $35 piece of junk. I THOUGHT I was casting properly but I was not. The rod would not and could not load properly so I cast improperly. If you want to learn to fly fish, I have some rods you can use. You can buy used St. Croix Premiers for $50-60 and they are decent to cast with. There are many other is that category. The cheap rods are twice as thick and twice as heavy as they need to be.

Once you develop a bad habit when fly fishing, it is hard to break.

I have broken  three fly rods...all were clumsy operator errors! All were repaired or replaced by the manufacturer for a small fee.

#18 Jan-09-09 11:34AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

L1Ranger wrote:

I'm about 10 miles south of front royal.

anytime from now until the water gets low is a great time for trout as they don't mind the cold water so much.  Pretty much all spring
of course, nobody wants to go freezing there butts off (though I don't mind).
if you can get a group or two together and set a tentative date we can go from there.  if the weather doesn't cooperate, we can reschedule.  wind and rain will ruin a trip.

if anybody is interested in fly fishing and has the equipment, we could do a special trip for that as well.  its my preferred method for trout.

How many would you say in a group?

#19 Jan-09-09 12:51PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

it depends on what the group wants to do

wild trout - 3 in a group
delayed harvest - 3 or 4
put and take - maybe as many as 8

it would also depend on help.  if Ernie can help out, or somebody else, we can do more than one group in the same day

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#20 Jan-09-09 12:52PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

L1Ranger wrote:

it depends on what the group wants to do

wild trout - 3 in a group
delayed harvest - 3 or 4
put and take - maybe as many as 8

it would also depend on help.  if Ernie can help out, or somebody else, we can do more than one group in the same day

What are the main differences between those three...also the type of fishing it takes to catch each.

#21 Jan-09-09 3:31PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

put and take are generally easy accessible streams that are stocked by the state on a regular basis, but they are also fished pretty heavily and 99% of the fish are kept. 

delayed harvest is pretty easy to get to, and stocked by the state, but from october to april all fish must be released.  regulations call for single hook artificial lures only.  There is only one of these in the vicinity, and b/c of its size, more than 3 or 4 would be too many.

wild trout are generally smaller streams, some are pretty easy to get to, others require some hiking.  wild trout are much more colorful/pretty and very scrappy, however, they are generally smaller.  All streams  in SNP and some are single hook artificial only.  Most of those in the park are catch and release. 

put and take and delayed harvest both require the additional state trout stamp.
wild trout do not require this.

I will do some talking to see if I can pull together another option that will include more people, but I'm not sure yet.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#22 Jan-09-09 5:22PM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

Charlie - when you get a chance, I need a head count of who would be interested in a weekend of trout fishing at the elk springs resort in monterville, WV

http://www.elkspringsflyshop.com/

I'm still working on details, such as camping or cabins, food and cost, but need a estimate on how many it might be to get stuff nailed down.

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

#23 Jan-10-09 8:29AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow!  That place is beautiful.  I will talk to people next week at school.  Maybe a small group the first time (maybe the officers or something) and then maybe a second trip with more. 

do you use waders or just stand from the side?

Thanks again for all of your help!!  If this works out it could be really cool!

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Jan-10-09 9:03AM)

#24 Jan-10-09 9:04AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Also, what kind of equipment do you need for trout fishing ..for both spinning and fly?  I am going to Greentop and Bass Pro next weekend and I want to take a look.

#25 Jan-10-09 11:22AM

L1Ranger
Northern Snakehead

I would suggest waders, but you can probably get by without them, esp if you are spin fishing.  fly fishing is much easier with waders.

on smaller water, 4 and 5 wt fly rods and light power spin rods

on larger water, a ML or M spinning outfit and 5 or 6 wt fly rod

at elk springs, fish up to 20"+ aren't that uncommon

Last edited by L1Ranger (Jan-10-09 11:25AM)

now it's yesterday! roll
Ernie

Board footer