Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-21-08 4:04AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

11-21-08 The Old Lady Of The Pond ( the sequel )

For those of you who read my entry on 11-24-08, here is an update. Two weeks ago I went back to THE LAND to drain the small pond. The idea was suggested by John Odenkirk as a remedy for eliminating the the brazenia plants. Remembering the large catfish and bass that I had put in the small pond, I was prepared with nets and coolers, to catch and release the residents into the large pond where the "old lady" now resides. The draining took only about three and a half hours.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/pond.jpg

As the pond was draining I kept thinking about the otters that have been such a problem, only one hundred yards away, at the large pond. Well, as the water got more shallow, the reality was evident. I had supplied an "all you can eat" buffet for the otters. There were a few small bass, crappie, bluegill and golden shiners but none of the big catfish and bass that I had released in there originally. Otters may be cute to watch in a Walt Disney movie but they can really do a number on a small pond! I have picked up many catfish heads around the large pond. This experience makes the "old lady" even more special. She is a real survivor.

#2 Dec-21-08 5:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 11-21-08 The Old Lady Of The Pond ( the sequel )

We now have an "old lady" in Cedar Lake, although not quite as big as the the one in the LAND.

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer