Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-22-08 1:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

11-22-08, Potomac River (DC waters) report

I picked up Curly and Charlie at 8:30 AM when it was 29 degrees with winds of 10 mph. We got the boat and headed to  Graveley Point. Our goal was to be on the water at 10 AM and we were ahead of schedule....except that there was literally no water at the ramp. It took Curly and I at least 15 minutes to get the boat off the trailer and then another 10 minutes to free it off the bottom.

At launch time, it was blowing about 20 and the temperature was just above freezing. After that good workout, we headed over to the channel to start trolling.

It was cold and windy.....the sun would come in and out (that's when we got cold). Here is a great shot of the cold crew.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1209.jpg

We marked plenty of fish but could not get them to take our offerings even though we changed our spread to entice them.

On one of the passes, there were two crazy guys at the wall and they were hollering at us. I thought maybe someone had fallen in but these guys just wanted to say hi and to see if we had caught anything. We told them we still had the old Pepe LePew going on!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/200px-Pepe_Le_Pew.png

It turned out that Carl and Mo had stopped by the Harbor Police to get Mo's fishing licesnse and it was them! Now Mo can jump on board with us on our nexttrip!

We finished our last pass at 1:20 PM and headed back in to a very stiff and windy river. Our take out was without incident and we were soon headed back to Ashburn in a very warm truck.

We all agreed that we would rather take the chance and get the skunk than not having gone out at all.

Did I tell you it was cold and windy??

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Nov-22-08 2:35PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: 11-22-08, Potomac River (DC waters) report

Brutal day to be out...you are all quite brave, if not a bit crazy. I enjoyed a wine tasting (indoors) and some college football. Wanna trade? hehe

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#3 Nov-22-08 4:01PM

Ernie
Administrator

We were accused by our wives (mom in Charlie's case) of being a bit nuts today. frankly, iy really was not that bad....we were dressed properly. My face was the only part that started to numb up a bit. I had a face hoodie but didn't use it. But....if we had stayed out longer, we would have started to really feel it.

Of course, had we caught a few, we wouldn't even have noticed the cold!

#4 Nov-22-08 6:51PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

CozUF2001 wrote:

Brutal day to be out...you are all quite brave, if not a bit crazy. I enjoyed a wine tasting (indoors) and some college football. Wanna trade? hehe

College Football-How about them Gators??!!??  70-19

#5 Nov-23-08 6:45AM

doberdog1

Carl and I stood there for maybe two minutes and we almost froze to death.  Carl said that he thinks one of his ears fell off.  You guys were definetly dressed for the occassion.  I tell you fishing is not a joke, you better love what your doing.  even though it was that cold, me and carl wished we were out there.

#6 Nov-23-08 8:27AM

Ernie
Administrator

Mo,

Welcome to the board!! I didn't recognize you and Carl up there. We wondered who were the two crazy guys waving to us! I'm looking  forward to getting you and Carl to fish out of my boat in the very near future.....the stripers may have left  the river but the only way to tell is to go back out there and look for them!

Carl and I have fished cold weather before. Once, about 20 years ago, we took two boats out and broke ice at the mouth of Goose Creek.

The key to cold weather fishing is staying arm....lots of layers!

#7 Nov-23-08 8:30AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

A good game indeed Charlie. Go Gators!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

Board footer