Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-21-08 7:19AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

The Old Lady Of The Pond (pictures are up)

In January 1995 I bought "he land" (150 acres) in Palmyra, Va. and began the process of having it surveyed and tested for a fishing pond. The pond was completed and stocked with the advice of John Odenkirk. It was stocked with largemouth bass, hybrid bluegills, channel catfish and fathead minnows.

Ten years later I built a smaller pond and drained the original pond to re-shape the bottom for better spawning area. At that time I removed five large catfish and five 4 plus pound bass and put them in the small pond while the large pond was re-filling. Two years later one of the bass was caught and measured. She was now twenty two inches and about seven pounds.

We released her into the large pound and for some unknown reason she now comes out to see anyone who steps on the peer!  She has been caught repeatedly and after you return her to the water she will follow as you walk around the pond. She is now twenty five inches long! I have not weighed her.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/nov11_175.jpg

Two weeks ago I caught her at the peer and released her.....again. We walked to the far end of the pond in order to avoid catching her but as soon as Dr. Mo's father dropped his minnow in he caught her.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/nov11_173.jpg

I have mixed feelings about taking her out and having her mounted but she is now thirteen years old and according to John Odenkirk, bass in Va. usually only live until in their mid teens. She is almost a pet. I would not like to see her die and become turtle food.

Last edited by Carl (Nov-24-08 1:30PM)

#2 Nov-21-08 7:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: The Old Lady Of The Pond (pictures are up)

That's a great idea.....mount her with a fiberglass mold and she can still swim some more days.

I want some of her babies!

The pictures will be up tonight......

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-21-08 12:16PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

So, uh, where's this pond?! lol

A better question is, can I fish it?

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#4 Nov-21-08 12:37PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

Curly--I sold the property two years ago to a fellow who doesn't really fish; in fact when he asked me what was in the pond I told him and he asked me how to fish and what should he do with the fish. I had him meet me at Dick's and he bought one of the cheap combo outfits with heavy line. I showed him how to hook a five inch bluegill through the dorsal fin and cast it out in the small pond. He caught the big girl and released her into the large pond. At that point we named her BB for Brad's Bass since he is the new owner of the property. The plan now is to drain the small pond and put the fish into the large pond. John Odenkirk said to let the empty pond freeze to kill the Brazenia weeds.

#5 Nov-21-08 12:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

I remember one summer, Brett and I went down to "the land". Carl showed Brett how to shoot (he had a range carved out in the forest) a rifle and a pistol. Brett was a pretty good shot, I recall. While they did that, I was in the pond, on a raft, catching all kinds of fish.   cool

Great place and lots of great memories!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Nov-24-08 1:31PM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

New revised pictures are up!

#7 Nov-24-08 1:33PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

That is really cool!!!

Board footer