Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-30-08 5:58PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-30-08, Dogue Creek report

After work, Lou Sabatov and I met up at Dogue Creek in Alexandria to do a little fly fishing......for SNAKEHEADS!! After hearing John Odenkirk talk about snakeheads at the last CCA meeting and after doing some research, we headed out ready to score.

But we didn't!

We waded up the creek in search of these monster fish....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1007.jpg

Lou got three blue gill so we then we decided to bank fish down stream a bit. After losing many flies in the brush, we started back to the car but we ran in to a local fisherman by the name of Aubrey. It seems that both his parents and grandparents were Potomac River commercial fishermen. Interesting character!

He was throwing Minus 1 red/black crank bait and was catching some nice fish!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1011.jpg

Don't know why the camera was acting so squirrelly.

Anyway, while we did not get what we wanted, this is a very fishable creek and it is perfect for kayaks. We will be back.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-30-08 8:22PM

rit.05

Re: 9-30-08, Dogue Creek report

I caught some LMB trying out a wacky worm (pumpkinseed) in the Dogue the other day. I'm learning the soft bait game and missed some big hits. I'm having fun with it.

The snakeheads are in the Bevloir marina and out in the super thick grass just outside the creek. I will have my yak out there very soon to try for one of em. When you head out of the marina, take an immediate right or left and you will be in very shallow water with heavy cover. I think its pretty much top water only but I'm a rookie at this stuff.

#3 Oct-01-08 4:46AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I was out there last weekend, well out on the accotink bay but my friend showed me the creek, and plan on going back there soon. A lot of good looking water out there with what seemed to be very little pressure.  Did you guys get onto the creek from base or from outside the base?

#4 Oct-01-08 5:29AM

Ernie
Administrator

We got in off of Mt. Vernon Pkwy, next to the Mill. I know the SHs are way up the creek but downed trees made that exploration impossible.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Oct-01-08 6:54PM

rit.05

The Pohick runs right by my airfield also. Take 7100 (between Rte 1 and 95) and turn at the light towards Davison Army Airfield. The first lot on your left does not require any special parking permit or sticker. Start at the bridge and head downstream. I've seen bass, perch, etc in there but have not fished it myself. I'll post a report when I get around to it.

The place is very similar to the Dogue and has almost zero fishing pressure. I'm sure the old SH is lurking.

Board footer