Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-27-08 2:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-27-08, Potomac River report

This weekend, the plan called for Jim Rekas, Rob Allen and I to go down to the Solomon's area to fish the bay. We canceled due to the forecast of high winds and rain.   mad Even though the forecast did not quite pan out, we did not want to risk a 90 mile drive to find 4-5 waves on the bay so we stayed home on Friday.

This morning, Jim and I decided to see if we could get a few hours in on the Potomac even though they were calling for rain. It rained on the way there while we were on Rt. 66 and it rained on the way back while we were on Rt. 66. In between, we got to fish.

We launched out of Gravely Point in an extreme high tide but the winds were calm. We had to dodge some debris in the water but we got to the pine tree and started throwing top water baits to see if we could get a striper to come up. After 20 minutes of this, we decided to light tackle troll to try to locate the fish.

The Spirit of Washington at 8:40 AM (you can tell time by this guy)!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1002.jpg

The winning combos in the morning ware a couple of different red jig/white curly tail lures which got us nine stripers all the way up to 16"! There was no real pattern or rhythm. We caught them very shallow, on turns or in deeper water. Sometimes, we barely knew they were on. We also missed on 5 or 6 of them and except for one hard hit; I suspect they were all small.

But on one pass, one of the spinning rods went down and I knew Jim had a nice one….I was just hoping it wasn’t a blue cat. Here is Jim's keeper (19.25") striper!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1001.jpg

A little later, up near the statute, one of the rods goes down and I get in a fight with a nice fish. But it was behaving very strangely so when he came up, I found out why. Here is my tail caught channel cat!

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1004.jpg

Towards the end of our trip, I made a real close pass to the big, lure eating hump out in front of Ft. McNair. The lures were all bumping and bouncing and one started to behave differently so I picked it up and up came this  9" white perch at the end of a 7" Rebel Jointed Spoonbill.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/IMGP1006.jpg

What was he thinking?

Anyway, we quit around 12:45 and headed home (not before a stop at the Italian Store for a couple of outstanding hoagies).

All in all, a nice day to be out and we dodged the rain!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-28-08 7:34AM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Re: 9-27-08, Potomac River report

Nice report.

Go Fish!

#3 Sep-28-08 9:17AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Very nice! I have yet to catch a striper and hope to do so as the season opens up next weeek!

#4 Sep-28-08 8:57PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Where do you get those Rebel jointed spoonbill lures? I've done some looking around at web sites for Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, and other places... and can't seem to find them.

I'd like to try some of that WC trolling at times during the next month or so. Would you care to share any tips about trolling speed, other lures, etc. ?

Bob

Go Fish!

#5 Sep-29-08 4:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bob,

Petey (Fish On Tackle) may have some of these in the white color. He bought a bunch of them from a dealer last year. I don't know who esle may have them. There are other types that will catch them. I have used straight lures (not jointed) and they work.  They should be 5-7" and run 8-12 feet deep.  We troll between 2.3-2.9 kts.

Ernie

#6 Sep-29-08 7:56PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

Thank you very much.

Bob

Go Fish!

#7 Sep-30-08 4:47PM

rit.05

Ernie,

I'm pretty sure thats not the best way to hook a catfish. We'll have to work on your presentation a bit...

#8 Sep-30-08 5:48PM

Ernie
Administrator

Too funny!

Did I see you hovering over a fishing boat in the channel today? It was not me but I was watching him from my office. He was anchored at the "no wake" buoy....perhaps cat fishing.

Ernie

#9 Sep-30-08 8:19PM

rit.05

I went into Mcnair about 1400. I try not to hover around the boats, but if I know somebody I might "say hi".

Board footer