Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-29-23 1:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-29-23, Magothy River

It was misty again this morning! tongue

https://i.imgur.com/dXeUUo3.jpg

But John and I had already cancelled a couple of times due to stuff so we were going!

As I drove to Saverna Park, it misted most of the way. When we got started, it was misting (air temps were in the low 60s though) and it did so for a couple of hours until it lifted a bit.

John has a neat set up as his boat is docked at the community pool just a few minutes from his house.

The plan was to go chase some close by top water stripers early. John uses a spook and fluke set up and was able to get a few!

https://i.imgur.com/iaR52qy.jpg

That was the mandatory 1st pic. A couple of the fish were bigger but no keepers.

I threw a Sammie and didn't even get a sniff.

While Plan A was successful, it was not hot and heavy so we moved to a couple other spots. John caught a couple more.

All the while, we were also looking for pickerel (Plan B) and we tried (in vain) a few spots. John was perplexed. They should start hitting the shallow, grassy areas but we did not find them.

We then hit a few more spots and we finally found some of our Plan C fish, the white perch.

I finally got my skunk off...

https://i.imgur.com/5U8Ma8S.jpg

...and even caught 3 in a row at one point.

The bite was off...you had to will them to eat it but ma managed to catch quite a few in one area, including a double!

https://i.imgur.com/oErZSPw.jpg

We still couldn't understand the lack of a pickle bite so we went to a protected area as the wind (NE) was being annoying.

Here, we caught a few more perch right at the edge of the grass (which you had to feel because we could not see it with no sun). I think John got 4 straight at one point.

I then told John that on this next cast, I would catch a pickle because it just looked like that type of habitat. I threw just next to some wood in very shallow water and I got a pick up. We both thought it was the pickle that I called but the head shake was reminiscent of a large perch or a striper. As it got closer, I saw it! A huge perch!! I called for the net and John came over to scoop it up. He saw the fish and confirmed it was a large perch! But I did the very same thing I always tell people not to do and that is to bring the head out of the water.

Just like that, he popped off. Major disappointment!! mad. Was it a 12"er? I would bet money on it. Was it bigger? I might still make that bet. What a fish!

We continued to fish this protected cove and were happy with our perch catches. I think we kept 10 of the larger (>9.5") ones.

On one of his last cats in this cove, John got hit hard. I told him it was a monster perch!

This feisty striper got the juices flowing for sure!

https://i.imgur.com/ibJl0LO.jpg

We then ate some good Italian subs from the Filling Co. and replayed the day.

- John knows his home water well and yet we learned a couple of things.

- The way the weather looked kept most others away.

- While stripers and pickles were our main focus, we adjusted and caught a fair amount of good sized perch.

Great day out despite the long drive home. Traffic sucked and I had to go into my old going home from work mode to avoid a bunch of obstacles.

Many thanks to John for a fun day on the water!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-29-23 2:41PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 9-29-23, Magothy River

Great report!  I like those conditions most of the time.  Nice fish were caught and nice looking boat.  Congrats!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-29-23 3:17PM

Mhen

Ernie, It was a joy to have you as always and I'm glad we finally connected this year!  Hopefully we can chase some pickles as the water cools.  Of course I sure wish we nabbed that monster perch, but now it can grow and grow with no way to know how big she was....;-)  Since August, the bite for all species in my river has been off, hit or miss, incredibly concentrated and often finicky.  Thankfully, between stripers arriving, perch departing, pickerel migrating on the main river and red drum and croaker invading from the south, every outing provides challenges and surprises.  And remember, at least we got a good look at your perch, while my early break off could have been a hefty snakehead or maybe, just maybe an elusive 30" chain pickerel!

Bummer on the traffic, but it's just getting worse and worse, I often spend 30-40 minutes driving 12 miles on highways from my office to home.  Remember we used to joke, "You can't even walk and chew gum at the same time!"  I think it's quite possible that most humans cannot text and drive at the same time.

Cheers!

#4 Sep-29-23 3:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Mhen wrote:

And remember, at least we got a good look at your perch, while my early break off could have been a hefty snakehead or maybe, just maybe an elusive 30" chain pickerel!

I forgot to mention that... who knows what it could have been!!

Mhen wrote:

I think it's quite possible that most humans cannot text and drive at the same time.

I got stuck behind a slow guy for a bit and when I finally passed him, he had his phone on the steering wheel and was tapping away. So...I slowed down as I passed and the Cuban came out of me. Laid on the horn for 7-8 seconds. I'm sure he flipped me off! lol

#5 Sep-30-23 10:03AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Sorry for your heartbreak.  Hate when that happens.  You'll be dreaming about that fish for a while

No outboard on the boat?  Is it a jet?  Boat looks nice & clean.

#6 Sep-30-23 12:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

115HP Merc., prop.

#7 Oct-05-23 6:00PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Nice job sticking with it and catching a variety of fish

Board footer