Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-05-23 4:30PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

3 straight days fishing

Labor day weekend was spent doing something that I haven't done in a really long time, 3 straight days of fishing in the kayak. Although all 3 days can be summed up this way:  absolutely brutal fishing!!  Never skunked but LOW NUMBERS AND SIZE

Met a friend early Saturday morning for a float on a stretch we did a few months ago when there was a little bit more water in the river.  Temps started at low 50's so had some expectations.  First part of float was shallow but there was a crazy bug hatch.  Few swipes on a fluke in that stretch and buddy got first fish with a little 12-13" on a swimbait in little deeper water with current.  I picked up a small one on a 5" KVD fluke in shallow shoreline area.  Then nothing till we got to an plain looking area with some depth and bigger rocks on bottom.   Had a short flurry on the fluke, about 5-6 hits from mostly smaller disht. Did pick up a couple about 12" and another about 14" on swimbait.  Buddy picked up another one.    And that was it for the day.  4-5 for me and a couple for him.  More grass than before with water lower.

Sunday and Monday afternoon got about 3 or so hours each day on 2 single access outings, trying to focus on deeper areas with current each time.  Bright sun and low water was making it tough.  Ended up with 3-4 both days, with majority of them on either a small z man swimbait or bigger reaction lures swimbait.  Still got several short strikes/swipes on the smaller swim bait.  Few fluke fish in shady banks both afternoons.

Really hoping for some rain so the fish get feeding again.  Even though it was tough fishing, I was on the water

#2 Sep-06-23 5:55AM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 3 straight days fishing

You are a brave man to go out in that heat.  I know you go when the opportunity is there.  Every trip adds knowledge, and you caught some fish, so success.  Ditto on the need for rain.  Need it bad.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Sep-06-23 6:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

That's a labor of love right there. Kinda like a mini vacation. Very few things beat being out on the water.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Sep-06-23 7:39AM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

That is true, every time on the water should be a learning opportunity.  And when my wife is out of town, opportunity is knocking 😁

Definitely a little vacation but glad it wasn't 3 straight floats.  Not sure I could have done that in the heat!

#5 Sep-06-23 8:01AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

You're an animal!

Was hiking this morning and the water is so low saw a bunch of carp fins sticking out as they were swimming.  Imagine hooking one of those beasts on bass gear?

Board footer