Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-16-23 7:25PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

Excellent day on the river

I took Thursday off to fish the river with someone I hadn't fished with in probably 7 years. But now that we have each other's numbers, won't let that happen again.  Met Leon at 7:14, loaded kayaks and gear in my vehicle to head to the start.  Water levels make it interesting for floats this time of year but we found a stretch that I've started fishing again this year with George.

We started floating about 8 and it didn't take too long.  I missed a couple on the good old fluke right away l, while also throwing the Choppo for the early topwater bite.  Drifted down a short walls and anchored up below a slightly submerged rock to fish the eddy and adjacent fast water.  And for about 25 minutes it was ON FIRE with the fluke.  Pulled in 8 on that and another on a swim bait, all 12-13".   Had a short stretch of hits on every cast, with all the fish in the faster water feeding. Leon pulled over and managed to pull in 3-4 himself. 

Once the action died, we continued to float downstream.  We were along opposite shores so didn't see each other the whole time.  But both of us were picking up fish on flukes mainly.  Most in that 12-13" range. I did lose one that was probably about 16" and the best of the day so far when I gave it slack. There was another 17" or so with it.

Bite slowed down about 11:30 or so and the green swim bait started catching a few.  Then had an interesting few minutes.  Heard a splash and saw Leon's rod bent. Wrong species with a 4.5# catfish behind a submerged mid river ledge.  I paddled up closer to it and made a cast with the brown and orange crankbait on downstream side of ledge.  Few cranks and a fish SLAMMED it and fight was on.  Then it tried to jump and saw it was a big smallie.  Few anxious minutes of rod bent, drag pulling, and George's past words of take it easy and then this tank of a smaller was in the net.
https://images2.imgbox.com/6d/ab/917U86Vk_o.jpg

19.25 with some mass and the highlight of the day.  We each managed to catch a few more and be off the water at 2.  We had a great day for numbers with about 35 fish between the 2 of us. Plenty of small ones which is hipeoa good sign.

#2 Jul-17-23 11:14AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Excellent day on the river

That bait's been magic for you this year

#3 Jul-17-23 12:17PM

Ernie
Administrator

That's a tank!

Great job fellas!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jul-17-23 4:22PM

Oubassman
Northern Snakehead

hookup wrote:

That bait's been magic for you this year

My go-to big smallmouth lure dating back to last fall. There's one specific color that is work the most which is a little darker brown and a little brighter orange

#5 Jul-17-23 4:54PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report and fantastic fish!  Congrats!!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#6 Jul-18-23 5:15AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Very healthy fish. WTG

tight lines

Board footer